DIY Cooling fan

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johnehr

Ignorant and Oblivious
I just bought some PC lights and they are heating up my tank. I looked and saw that its at least $30 per 4" fan to stick under my hood to help it cool down. I know I can get the fans (ones usually used for computers) for really cheap, like $4. I also think that you could find some AC/DC adapters from some electronic device, like a phone charger or something. Anyone has any experience with DIY fan/hood cooling?

Im using two 56CFM computer fans... for 10 each...
I went to RE-PC (downtown seattle) for used ac-dc power adapter for 3 bucks each.
Yes u can use it.

I went to Frye's and purchased four 4" fans for about $13 each. They were a little bit more expensive because of two features. They each had dual ball bearings to keep down the noise and they had an adjustable speed device that you set. Since they all were 12V and pulled .3 amps I was lucky enough to find a 12V adapter that had an output of 1.2 amps. I spliced the wires as well as used quick disconnects to make the removal of the fans easier. To top it all off, I bought some inexpensive filter covers to reduce the dust particles coming into the tank. I can take some pics if you want.

Erwin

Ok so how do you set up the fans so they turn off after the temp drops to say like 78, and come back on again @ 82?

You'll need some sort of "thermal sensor" - out of my leauge not that much electronical.

I just have mine come on 30min before the lights come on and stay on about 60min after they go off.

I had some fans hidden away in one of my moving boxes 0 and using them. For a buck apiece, they can be a little noisey. :eek2:

Where were you guys last week when I replaced my fans? I have a JBJ PC fixture and thought I could just plug out and plug in. Turns out the wires were backwards, so if your fans don't work first time, try switching the wires, red where black was, and black where red was. Got them at buyextras online. Despite the claim that they are less noisey, they are not.

Do you have them blowing in or sucking out?
Old ones sucked out. I replaced with new ones blowing in. I read on another forum that they cool better and last longer(because they do not heat up themselves) blowing in.

Kathy, this thread is from last week, where were you? :D Welcome to RF!!!

If you guys want to spend about $35 you can buy a temp controller from the computer store. I bought one that turns fans on and off based on temperature and has 4 separate channels and can control all the fans differently. If you use a relay you can set it up to turn on and off a heater also. That is my plan anyway, I should have it set up next week. I have only had the parts laying around for about a month now :lol:

iamjosh said:
Ok so how do you set up the fans so they turn off after the temp drops to say like 78, and come back on again @ 82?

Josh why would you want to force a 4 degree temp swing? What Ive figured out is that if your heater is set at 80 and you use the above temps you actually end up with about 76 and 84. You gain or loose a degree or so because the fans and heater take time to heat or cool. If you narrow the frequency and decrease the dwell time of each device your final result is a stable overall temp.
Using the heater as the device trigger set at 79 will yield a temp swing of only 1 degree .5 in either direction assumung your heater and fans a sized properly. On a side note it also stabilizes your evaporation rate. If you top off with kalk or dose in your top off you end up dosing the same amount daily.

Don

I dont know if this helps.

I bought a "TOTO" electronic heater controller for $20.00 (sale at Blue Sierra). Like the second one (white) on this link.
http://www.aquariuminstruments.com/en-us/dept_77.html

So i set it to 80 deg then thats it. I cannot trust the thermostat of cheap heaters like the one I got so I bought this one. If the temp goes down then this equipment kicks in.

Now that takes care of the low end.

My solution on the high end is the "CPU FANS". I just make it always on everytime my halide turns on. The good thing with CPU FANS is that it is not strong enough to outperform my 200 watt heater even if it is on for 12 hours a day. But Strong enough to cool down the water from the heat coming from halide.

This "TOTO" heater controller makes a big difference because I no longer have temp swings. It is really sensitive to a point that I only have 1 degree swings.

It is also similar in terms of function to this one....
http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=37&osCsid=2c3c7fcaf6ec48471a86dc205294f584
except that this one, even though single stage, can handle the ups or the downs.

Note : the CPU FAN can only cool down the water to such a degree. Maybe 4 degrees max. But greater than that you will need chiller. This last summer, there are days that I reached 84, 85.

Now this sounds really bad but I went over to Fred Meyer and picked up a two speed clip on cooling fan, like you would have at your desk at work. I clipped it inside my hood and have it on the timer with the halides. I have no holes anywhere in my hood, just the open back side. My tank was getting up to 86, and with the fan on my tank is around 78.5 to 80.5 degrees. Everyone else has offered you much better advise and I recommend you listen to them over me, but in a pinch, my fan idea seems to work too.
Brett

BCT182
what is so bad about your suggestion? I have the same set-up on my zoanthid tank. With it set-up to come with the mh, no sensor is needed, simple.
I also like to use the 120v radio shack 4" and 5" fans. Plug them into the timer with the lights also

BCT,

I use the same setup except that it is located in my sump and only opens when the CPU FANS needs help. Theres nothing wrong with it except a little bit noisier than the CPU FANS.

But yes, I use those clip fans too.... they are cheap and plug and play.

cookiemn said:
To top it all off, I bought some inexpensive filter covers to reduce the dust particles coming into the tank. I can take some pics if you want.

Erwin

Please post those pics if you dont mind.

MINIATUS

I have been using 4" Radio Shack fans with great success. I am told, however, that they don't stand up to the salt environment very well over the long term. The biggest problem was going through all the $1 used appliances at Goodwill to find an AC adaptor with the right amperage. I even used to use Home Depot bathroom fans with metal ducting to pipe the heat out. They work really good!

Oscapus said:
I have been using 4" Radio Shack fans with great success. I am told, however, that they don't stand up to the salt environment very well over the long term.

I clean mine up every couple of years. Oil the bearings.
I have a couple that are still working that are more that 8 years old and still move a lot of air and are quiet.
The clip-on fans I use only last about a year.

What I did was use PC fans with blue LED's.

I use two, both blowing AIR INSIDE THE HOOD. Air inside has to come out, so two smaller holes were drilled in the back for my electrical cords to go through. I feel warm air coming out of these as well as the front bottom of the hood.

I like them, and they are quiet, and i have mine powered to a transformer
12 V DC and at 500mA (0.5 amps). Then I plugged that into a surge protector.

Running 250 watt XM10k and 2x28 watt PC 03 actinics, and having temps of 79 to about 81.

Here's a pic of my hood and the hood fans in the back:

hoodfans.jpg

hoodx.jpg

- Elmo

Back