DIY-ers Please help a newbie!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

90galOcReef

i have a 90 gal oceanic drilled tank that i will be setting up as soon as i figure a few things out... I think that i would like to have some type of wet/dry filter underneath my tank but forgive me for not having the knowledge, my power at my house goes out quite often. What stops the water from gushing out of my filter underneath with all that pressure?? I figure all you DIY guys know plenty so maybe you can help me with answering a few questions. Thanks so much

Before you pay lots of cash on a wet/dry you may want to read up on other filtration methods. If you have enough LR it can be your main filtration, along with skimmer or a plenum system, DSB there is a ton of natural ways for filtration that far out performs a wet/dry.

Welcome to RF, please feel free to look through the forums, there is a ton of information. Now to answer your question, a siphon break usually will stop the continual flow into the sump area, some how in your return lines at some level air needs to get in and prevent the water from siphoning down to an overflow.

Well what stops it is your overflow and your standpipe inside the overflow. They only let excess water flow into your sump, so when the power shuts off they prevent the entire tank from draining onto your floor. So usually the water level in the tank will drop about 1" or maybe a bit more. You have to make sure that your sump tank is big enough to handle any drainage that occurs when your power is off. So with this in mind you set your water level of the sump accordingly. I would not recommend a wet dry, they are old news and not suitable for Reef systems. If you are planning on running a fish only w/ live rock system then that is different.

Does that make any sense? Anyway here is a picture of the side of my tank. It shows the water level inside the overlfow and the water level of the tank. The white pvc plumbing is what is refered to as a 'durso' standpipe. It keeps the water level inside the overflow high and prevents noisly splashing. The other thing that you have to know is that your return line from your sump will back siphon untill the water level goes below the output. To prevent this you simply drill a hole in the return line about 1/2" below the water level in your tank on the inside part of the tank :D. I drilled a 1/4" hole in my pipe. Take a look at this pic that I made up for you and see if you have any more questions that I can help you out with.

Didn't write my p/w down & forgot it.... LOL

Well i thank all of you very much for your help regarding my question and i have seen much talk about the durso standpipe - as a matter of fact even printed out the info on how to either make it of buy it for like 15 bucks.. so wet/dry filters aren't recomended? I do have much better understanding of how the sump works i thank you very much. Do you suggest that i maybe just plug the holes drilled in my tank?? and go with a plenum and the live rock?? I've been looking into this for quite some time and have all the materials to make my own live rock as per GARF instructions. So i definately wanted to eventually get some coral and get a move on setting this tank up.. Once again. Thank you guys so much! you're a wonderful help! :D

What you can do is use the holes to drain water into a DIY sump, even a small 30g tank. You can drop in a return submerged pump, this will circulate water to & from your sump, in the sump you can hide your heater, add a skimmer later, use it as needed.

Thanks alot for the info.. So i should use both holes drilled in my tank to drain water down into the sump and then pump it back up elsewhere..? What are your opinions on a small refugium??? I like the idea, but i'm not sure it's the best choice...

Well what size are the holes drilled? It depends on how much flow you want to pump thru there. I would definately go w/ draines on both holes and then just run your return plumbing over the top of the aquarim. You won't be sorry having a drilled tank and a sump. A fuge is never a bad idea really, give it a shot. I say 'just say no to sand' :D Most of that info that you have been reading on Garf is a little outdated, so make sure that you ask us before you do anything off of there!

Yea, i understand. To be totally honest i am not exactly sure about what size drain is in my tank. It is a oceanic 90 gall bowfront special order tank.. Got it from a friend. It doesn't have the glass brace in the middle which i like.

Do you have a fuge on your tank?? or actually should i say is it a lot more trouble?? I keep going back and forth between getting a fuge and just having a tank there as a reaction chamber for a skimmer and heater and whatnot. I'm so confused... LoL

Well I ran a fuge for a while. I decided that it was way more trouble then it was worth, with algea growing in my skimmer and reactors. I decided that I would go fugeless, and it has been great.

That is the option i was leaning more towards. I like somewhat low maintenance, and right now i have two 29gallon tanks, only one is a reef, and i think when i get this 90 gallon tank up and running i will have my hands quite full. I keep hearing about people lose interest, and i dont want to end up like that. So far i like this expensive hobby... :D By the way, i was thinking maybe a 15 or 20 gallon tank under my stand for a sump would be sufficient enough for this 90 gallon bf tank. Do you agree? Any suggestions?? Thanks

-Jessica

Well a 20 would be a good choice, me thinks. The bigger the better as they say. I personally have a 90, and use a custom made 50g sump.

Back