Diy filter sock holder

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I need one myself, problem with what I use they have straps & the rings just fall off after the first wash, so something universal would be nice!

You can get a piece of acrylic from a home center big enough to fit across the width of your sump and cut a hole in it just a bit smaller than the ring in your filter sock, assuming it has a plastic ring.
Here's a pic of what I've got going on in my sump, pretty much what I'm talking about-

Last edited:
What happen when it starts to over flow? How do you change your socks with those 1 inch pipes in the way?

I don't know if they're visible in the pic, but there's a series of holes drilled in the plate, between the two openings for the socks. Those smaller holes allow any overflow water to go down into the sump (tends not to happen as a change my filter socks out daily). The one inch pipes are not glues in, so they can just pull right out and press back in.

Last edited:
adam and myself decided to have a go at it and make a few diy's!!! let us know what you guys think...

Picture086.jpg

Picture087.jpg

I just take tubular hangers and breack the off so thay at as wide as my filter sock and then heat and bend the ends as nesisary (sp). Then i heat and bend the hook 90 degrees so it hangs on the side. Works great and is cheap cheap.

Back