DIY Frag Rack

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi all,

I am in the process of building my trays but I am curious if anyone has used a clear molding resin to seal the magnets into and then mount them onto the egg crate before the resin cures completely.

I've seen those type of egg crate frag trays at Barrier reef and though of making my own but I'm unsure if the cured resin would be safe to use in the aquarium. I would assume it might be as the magnets that you show are epoxy coated correct?

Picture is similar design.

Thanks,
Alex

**bump**

Hi everyone,

Well after some careful research I found that a lot of those neo magnets are coated not only with nickle but a combination of ni(nickle),cu(cooper),ni(nickle). So I am a little concerned about using them with my project. Should I be?
Should I just use those ceramic magnets? Either way they will be coated in a resin before using in the tank.
Any thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks,
Alex

Just finished this today , my take on the frag rack. I am using nickel plated DXO2's on the inside and found out that using two of these would not work, so using DXO6's on the outside.

The PVC caps are 3/4" and I cut a "spacer" of 3/4" PVC to fill the inside of the cap and allow the 1/8" thick DXO2 to fit or the DXO6 3/8" to fit and close off the opening with a piece of 1/8" acrylic. I used #16.

On the next rack, I'll just use the DXO6's as there are stronger, thicker but cost more and are on sale 20% off - don't know how long

On the outside shot, the left cap has not been trimmed off yet, that's why the rectangular "foot"

Last edited:
wow nice job
What did you glue the end caps to the egg crate with??
I got a bunch of 3/4 end caps outside just sitting around!!
and lots of acrylic too
now I just need the magnets!!

Weldon #16. I used a thin piece of acrylic 1/8" to seal the caps off with so as not to add to the material that the magnetics have to hold thru, then just route it flush.

I added a small piece of PVC in the cap to space the magnet closer to the end, so it won't wiggle around indise the cap.

You might want to add that small piece of acrylic, the one on the bottom to help hold it straight, so the egg create won't lean down. jmo

Yes, whatever size you use to enclose the cap, the thickness of the tank and then the other side, all has to be taken into account. Then the weight of the frag rack and the frags on it. :rolleyes: jk

I decided to make a couple new frag racks using casting resin incased neodymium magnets. I made them a little different than the other ones. This time I tried it with a couple of the tabs of the eggcrate stuck into the casting resin.
I used a balck casting resin color.
I noticed something a little strange while pouring the colored resin into the molds. The resin seemed want to collect only on the magnet. It didn't want to go down into the sides of the molds at first. Plus when I tried to direct the stream of casting resin down the side of the magnet from the mixing cup, the stream of resin actually poured at a approx 33 degree angle to what gravity should have made it fall.
I figure the casting resin must have some iron in its ingredients.
I wish I could have taken pictures of it happening

I used a ton more of the color than I really needed. As I was squeezing the color bottle, it became clogged and then the whole end of the bottle came off, dumping in twice as much as I needed.
I'm sure that it had to be in the color and the exccesive amount used.
It was a little strange. :rolleyes:

Back