diy internall overflow box.....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Depends on how difficult or fancy you want to make it. I've thought about building a very simple but effective one out of PVC or ABS piping.

Take a length of pipe that's about 6" in diameter and cut it in half lengthwise so you have a half round of the same length you started with. Cut teeth in one end of it...

Next, you can either silicone or glue it to your tank wall and then glue a piece of acrylic or PVC sheet at the bottom of it to seal the bottom off.

You want to make it large enough so that the teeth you cut give you enough surface skimming. You can even go larger by using larger diameter pipe, such as the thin walled PVC drainage or sewer piping. The length is totally up to you. Length will be determined by how far below the water line your tank is drilled, how tall of a durso stand you want in the overflow and that's about it.

Yeah, not too difficult, there are a lot of simple and effective designs out there. I left you a couple of questions in your other thread, I can see these two discussions converging very quickly. :)

Admins, wanna merge this with the thread in the equipment forum?

Use glass!

Acrylic does not bond well to glass. I would suggest using inexpensive pieces of glass to create your overflow. Here are some photos that I got off of someone's thread, unfortunately I don't remember from where. I apologize for not being able to give credit where credit is do. This is how I plan on doing mine over the next few weeks.

ResizeofDSC08910.jpg

ResizeofDSC08903.jpg

ResizeofDSC08909.jpg

Also, you can put eggcrate on the top if you want a teeth-like effect.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

How hard is it to build your own internall overflow box??????
please let me know i need one really bad thanks alot.....

saltwaterman22 is my buddy and was asking for me before I was a member of RF. Just to update I had a black acrylic box made 15"x5"x7" for $30.00 and then routered the slots for drainage 1.5" long 1/4" wide and 1/4" apart. It works awsome. Thanks for the help and advise. Here are some pix. Sorry for the cloudy pictures tank is only 18 hrs old.

Back