DIY Nilsen Reactor project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blane, I discovered that pipe thread taps are pretty big and the right size handle is hard to find; however, since they are tapered and the pvc cuts easy, I was able to use the tap successfully with a crescent wrench.

The JG fittings are great!!!

As I stated in another post, I would highly recommend tapping into the pvc rather than slipping the pipe through a drilled hole. Even though I used a coupling to add stability, it is definitely the weakest spot and I broke the seal when I put the hose on.

Got that fixed and filled it last night and set the mixing timer. Should be ready to start dripping tonight.

I'm using an Eheim 1048 as a mixing pump. Kind of pricey, but I really don't like the idea of using a maxijet externally. I expect the Eheim to last a very long time and to never leak.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that the tap handels were so hard to find, sorry. Do you have any good pics of your reactor? If so, I'd love to see em. Happy building.

Blane

Yeah... um, yeah. There's pics on the thread... yeah. Dont mind me or my mindless posts.

Hmmmmm.... yeah. I'll just go shove my head back in the sand now.

Back