DIY protein skimmer and Ca Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shadofax

I just thought I would post a few pictures of the protein skimmer and calcium reactor that I built. If you have any questions on how I made anything please feel free to ask.

skimmer31-289x406.jpg

skimmerbody-300x406.jpg

skimmer_union-287x262.jpg

cup-325x258.jpg

wet_test_31-285x386.jpg

foamheadtest-315x228.jpg

reactor-282x373.jpg

That's insane!!!!! Great craftsmanship!! Thanks for sharing and welcome to RF if I haven't welcomed you already:)

Brad,

The reaction chamber is 11" OD with a 1/8" wall and 20" tall the riser is ~9" tall and the skimmer has an overall height of 34". The pumps are Gen-X 4100's I am guessing that the tank will easily skim a 500g tank. and the reactor will do a 350g tank.

Shadowfax,beautiful job,great skillset and looks like a wonderfull plumbing shop near by,now the dumb question. the pic with it running is that with fresh water or salt, see ya later Steve

That is a test with salt water. I just dumped in a couple cups of salt to see what the bubble production would be like and I think it works great. It looks like milk in the reaction chamber and it was starting to collect gunk from freshly made saltwater.

shadofax!!! The skimmer looks awesome! I can't wait to see how it performs once Castor has his tank running. I think he's going to love it!

Since you posted specs on the skimmer, how about on the Ca Reactor?

Hey Nikki!

The reactor has a reaction chamber of 18" tall and I diameter of 6" and is a fluidized media reactor meaning the water enters the reactor at the bottom. This allows for optimal CO2 usage. The recirculation pump is a MagDrive 500. If there is anything else you are interested in let me know.

Levi

o gosh, I have no idea it took my about 3 weeks of working between 1 and 4 hours a night to get it done so 30+ hours for the skimmer and reactor. Making a skimmer that large was new for me I can make small skimmers in a few days of only a few hours a night.

Daniel Murray said:
I think you should make your skimmer and sell them.
Very cool and nice job

Yeah say one for a 75 gal and one for a 150 gal. :?:
Just a thought. :)
Not that i need some for those or anything. :lol:

Back