DIY Rotating Return Question ??????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefrubble

Does anyone have any pics of their DIY Rotating Return? I want to try,and make some DIY Rotating Returns,and I need some ideas. Any information would be helpful. Ted

Do you know or understand how automotive windshield wiper linkage operate or know how a belcrank works?

Don

The thing I really need is where to get inexpensive parts,like motors,and seals. All The rotisserie motors I have found are way over the $15. you stated. I tried Lowe's,and Home Depot web sites,and they were no where near $15.,They were like $85.,and up. Ted

Reefrubble said:
The thing I really need is where to get inexpensive parts,like motors,and seals. All The rotisserie motors I have found are way over the $15. you stated. I tried Lowe's,and Home Depot web sites,and they were no where near $15.,They were like $85.,and up. Ted

Probably not stocked this time of year. I'll check the box for a pn# and get back to you. The linkage and ball joint can be had at any good rc car place. The o rings can be had at any decent auto parts store. All the rest is acrylic and you have to make yourself.

Don

Thanks Don, The motor is the big thing. Every place I checked ,wanted an outrageous price for the motors. They all come from China,and are produced really cheap,but the suppliers really mark them up. Ted

What you need to do is go to Vans reef page. I dont remember the address but a google should get it. Take a look at the Aquagate repair section. This will tell you everything you need to know. He post the info on the aquagate and not the sea swirl because the owner of sea swirl stole it from aquagate. Since aquagate is gone no laws are broken.

Don

Here is a simple solution to getting random flow. This design can be scaled down or up depending on need but for simplicity sake I used 1/2" pvc.

The material used:
1/2" pvc pipe (drilled)
1/2" pvc end-cap
3/4" pvc end-cap (slotted)

Basically you take the 3/4" end-cap and cut angled slots in the cap such that when water is forced through the slots it will spin the cap. The more slots you make the slower the rpms. I designed 2 different caps. One with 2 slots and one with 10 slots. Connecting the pipe to my kitchen sink I was getting ~70 rpm out of the 2 slot cap. The 10 slot spun much much slower. Then cut a hole out of the top of the cap so it will slide over the 1/2" pvc pipe and spin freely.

Take the 1/2" end-cap and place it over the 1/2" pvc pipe. Then drill or cut holes in the pipe directly above the cap. Cut these holes rather large, you do not want to limit the flow of water here. That is what the angled slots are for.

slotted_cap.JPG

Here is the slotted cap, notice the angled slots.

pipe.JPG

Here is the pipe, notice the large holes directly above the cap.

together.JPG

It is "assembled" here. Basically you slide the 3/4" cap over the drilled holes. The water will exit the pipe and then exit through the angled slots spinning the cap. When the cap spins it will direct the flow of water around the pipe creating random flow.

This is a very simple design that should work for most systems. It could be scaled down and run by a smaller pump also.

To create the angled slots and other holes I simply used a dremel with a small disc style grinder it worked very well.

I'm open to suggestions, comments, and improvements. I just hope I helped someone out.

reefrubble

If you have a Graingers close by - the motors there are less than $50 and made in Amer. The motor that is on VAn's page for any of his clone's are from Grainger's.

hth

Thanks Wanareef, I have a friend that is going to get them from Grainger's,for me. They are up to $61. now,but what are you going to do. You know what they say,if you want to dance. Ted

I just left lowe's ,where I picked up two rotisseries,on clearance for $15.88. Now it's time to DIY. I would like thank everyone,for all the help,and a special thanks to Don,for telling me about the rotisserie motors. Ted

Back