diy sand box live rock!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

freetareef

Hi all i needed some more rock so i did what every good reefer does in times of need... i made some!!!! i used portland cement, oyster shells and coral sand!!! here are some pics and please feel free to ask questions about the process as there are 10934 threads on this if you google it so i'm not going to go in depth about the recipe in the thread as the pics are pretty self explainatory. enjoy!!!:):):)

here are the three ingredients in the wheelbarrow...you can sing this to the tune of "you put the lime in the coconut"...lol :lol:

the i added some water, dug some holes in the sand and ploped the mix down into shapes and then sprinkled more coral sand on top of them to give them some more texture!!!! they are dring right now as i did all this yesterday. they sould be ready for their 2 month bath tonight!!!!

i'll try to get some pics of them curing today. i did this on a smaller scale a year ago and added them to my 75 with some figi on top and i have to really look at the texture to tell the ones that i made from the figi as the color is the same now. there are some killer tricks to make them look good fast too. i think i will get a good amount of coraline glass scrapings and blend it up and pour it in my tank to get these rocks nice and pink and purple when they're done curing.

Hi, I know its an old post but I am considering making some live rock, can I get a few pics of the finished product?

i would love to see pics of the finished product. seems like a wonderful fun idea and you get the shapes and sizes you want! :)

homemade rock

Not to derail this thread, but if you click on my photo gallery (under the avitar), you'll see some finish product of the rocks that we made. We made them in my living room while my wife was recovering from surgery. It was a good family project. My daughter made the heart.

i made some rock about a month ago using the same tech. one thing that turned out great for me is to make irregular bricks and perforate them with straws or skewers and then remove after an hour. these bricks are then smashed to create very cool and very porous rock rubble.

Back