diy skimmer build!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

so i decided since this is my first skimmer build i would use pvc and make it a 6" by 24" recirc skimmer.

it will be fed directly from one of the lines of my overflow.

so here are some pics...

here is the skimmer body... it was a 6" by 24" basin extention from lowes.
the cost was $15...

here is the cone i found at lowes... it is called a 4 way drain and it fits
2" or 3" pvc. the top came with a drain screen that i just took off. the top opening was to big to fit on the 6" pvc as it was so i cut it and am using the bottom of it as the cone and the bottom of it as the base of the skimmer!!!:razz:

i am going to feed the skimmer from my overflow so i won't need a extra pump.

as far as the recirc pump goes i decided to use the oddysea wp 1000 . it was a good price, has no metal parts like the gen-x pumps, and i have had one running as my return for a year with no problems.:D

the pump is a paddle wheel type... but i have the solution for that!!!:eek2:

mesh mod rocks!!! 5$ shipped!!! the best and easiest skimmer pump mod there is imho:D

i'll post some pics when i do it.

here are a few pics of the unions i'm modding to keep the pump close to the skimmer body.

i have 3" clear pvc on its way for the neck. i think alls that i have left is the collection cup and some uniseals.

so what do you guys think?
i am going to mesh mod my prop and take some pics for ya all.

Looks good to me. Look forward to seeing how it works. Good idea using the PVC as it saves a lot on the cost on a part you really do not need to see through. Keep us posted on progress

What a great coincidence! I am doing the exact same build (Basically a RANDY STACEY skimmer). I'm using 6" PVC for the body @ 15" height. I also used the 4 way drain as the transition to the 3" neck and was also looking at the oddysea pumps. However, it was recommended to by some people on the RC forums to use their Odyssea WP 700 Water Pump as that would best suite the 3" neck. I think you want a 4-5" neck for this pump. Icould give you a link to a thread where I was asking about these pumps for skimmers, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to other forums. I could email it if you'd like.

Last edited:
looks great so far!!
i agree, your going to need a bigger neck for that odessea pump,
i've never modded one, but i hear they do like 1000plh air injection, which will be too much for a 3" neck. mabye you can just drill out your 4 way top to accomodate glueing a 4" tube for the cup riser:idea:

A 3" diameter neck can handle ~20scfh, and 4" can handle ~30scfh. The odyssea wp1000 will pull 35scfh+ modded but they are a bit noisy

The above info is from members of an other forum.

You can use a cut out tool like the Dremel to mod the 4 way to accept the larger neck.

freetareef, What size tank are you building this for?

I'm building mine for a 55g BB SPS system. I was thinking of using the wp700. I'm told that modded it will pull 20scfh. I want to run the tank at ULNS. Do you think 20scfh will be aggressive enough?

rlugo...this skimmer is for my 75 that has a total water volume of 115 roughly including the 65 sump. is your skimmer going to be a recirc? i have the understanding that for a sps tank the skimmer should inject 6oolph of air per 100gal of tank volume, at the least. maybe luke or skimmer can chime in on that...

so, here are some pics of the wp 1000 prop before, during and after the mesh mod.

the the next part of the skimmer i was working on last night was the intake to the pump. here is a pic...

so i was drilling the hole for my venturi and stoped short so i could carve it out with some kitchen shears and wouldn't you know it i slipped and cut the crap out of my hand!!!! so an hour or so and 6 stiches latter i was home again.:rolleyes:

so i'm taking it easy today since i can't use my thumb.

i'm thinking that if a 4 in neck is ness i can mod the cone at work and since i got a e-mail today that says my order for the clear pvc i was using for the neck needs to be redone with a "ledgable":rolleyes: address i will just change my order...

Last edited:
Back