diy skimmer build!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yeah, It's going to be a recirc. I've never heard of the 6oolph of air per 100gal of tank volume rule for SPS. So, I hope someone can chime in. How do I convert scfh to lph? How many layers of mesh are you going with?

i used 4 layers of mesh. i think that 500lph was a manufactures recomendation and every one on the thread was like "whoa, 600 at least" i'll see if i can find it.

my hand hurts. lol

So, for my 55g that has a total water volume of about 75g, I should be looking for 275lph? How do I convert scfh to lph?

Yeah, It's going to be a recirc. I've never heard of the 6oolph of air per 100gal of tank volume rule for SPS. So, I hope someone can chime in. How do I convert scfh to lph? How many layers of mesh are you going with?

Scroll down, near the bottom of THIS page is a scfh to lph converter that you can save.

The wp1000 needs to have its pw dremeled down in half, then 4 layers of flatback mesh should be added, then a 3/8" air hose barb should be used with a slit in the one side and you should push it into a 3/4" pvc male fitting. It will give you 30-40scfh done correctly. It needs a 3/4" restriction to pull the most air. A 3" neck is going to top out at around 20-25scfh. You can push around 40-45scfh through a 4" neck.

The wp 700 isn't a good pump because it has a 1/2" input. It'll pull 10-15scfh air max. If it had a 3/4" input it would pull 20-30scfh but it doesn't.

Thanks Don, but I'm not the brightest creature on the planet and have no idea what that means.

Willy, Thanks for the download.
Useing the converter 10scfh=283lph & 15scfh=424lph
So, if Luke is correct about the WP700 only doing 10-15schf & I go with 500 lph per 100g display for sps rule, I think I'm safe with the WP700 on a 3" neck for my tank. What do you all think?

So, according to the chart the WP1000 @ 30-40scfh will give you 850-1132lph

yea!!! lol!!!! that should clean er up huh!!!! i haven't decided on flow yet... i want to utilize my overflow lines as to not add another pump... if i use both lines i'll have 300gph and one will be 150... maybe skimmer or luke can chime in once again... i'll do some more reading tonight. oh yeah here is a pic of my hand lol!!!

For a feed pump or overflow feed you want 1.5-2x's the display volume so if its a 180g i'd push around 350gph flowthrough.

Rlugo, the wp700 will be plenty for a 55g.

Is 6" PVC available at most Lowes or is this a store by store thing? I am thinking of playing around a little and the cost of PVC is much more appealing than acrylic.

Back