DIY skimmer, OR3500 issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ErikJL

My or3500 is a pain to get going. I have to open up the guts and remove/replace the spindle several times to get the motor to start up. I'm using it for my recirc skimmer. Do i need to let it run awhile to break it in? Any ideas?

I do, I just keep forgetting to upload and post them. I'll make a point of uploading the pics when I get home from work. There isn't a meshmod on it, just the needle wheel that came with the pump.

If you are just running it stock with a nw then it sounds like something is wrong with it. OR's should start up every time. Only time they may not is if you meshmod them and put to much mesh on them. It shouldn't take any breaking in. But seeing how you have it setup will help. If its having to prime itself this could be causing it as well, but gotta see them pics : )

Here's the pics as requested. Yeah I'm running it stock with just the NW. I added pics of the internals in case I'm missing something.

Picture143.jpg
Picture144.jpg
Picture145.jpg
Picture146.jpg

Picture147.jpg
Picture148.jpg
Picture149.jpg
Picture150.jpg

Picture151.jpg

I don't know but am curious. Luke mentioned that it might have to do with it the pump Having to priming itself. I am curious if that is it !

:)

Paul

Eric, like that its not having to prime itself, there not going to be any trapped air in there. The only thing i'm not seeing is the venturi. Is it using its stock venturi? btw, thats one wild skimmer you got there!

So should I make sure the rotor chamber is filled with water before turning it on? The venturi attached to the intake. You can see it in the 2nd picture, follow the airline. (The venturi is made of several discs of clear acrylic.) I'll take closer pics of it and post them.

I wouldn't worry to much as it'll definately be filled with water. Its either got something to do with the head as the skimmer looks pretty tall, the venturi, or a bad pump. A pic of the venturi would be helpful. Your air tubing on the venturi looks really long to making the pump have to work extra hard to pull iin air

I take the whole pump out as the pipe isn't glued yet, so I'm pretty sure it isn't a head or venturi issue. I get the pump started then hook it into the skimmer. Good thing I didn't glue those pieces yet. Pic of venturi coming as soon as i get off my lazy butt. =P

So if the pump isn't hooked up to the skimmer will it start up every time? If so the pump just can't handle the head.

I'm out for the night man....beat!

No, the pump still takes 4-10 times taking it apart/reassembling to get it to start even when it's unhooked (yet still submerged so as not to damage it). I'll take a pic of the venturi tomorrow.

If the pump is not starting up correctly not hooked up to anything there's a defect with the pump. If its new i would contact the dealer you got it from. There's no reason that pump should do that.

Called Aqua medic and found out I'm missing 2 washers that should have come with the pump. This is the second time I had stuff missing from an order w/Premium Aquatics so I think I'll have to find a new vendor. The washers are in the mail however, costing about $4 and not mentioning the frustration with this thing.

Well, atleast they got you fixed. Hope the washers are the problem. Pump's can be a major frustration in this hobby.

Back