DIY stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dieden

Exocoetidae
I am looking for input on building my own stand for my new 80 gal tank. The current stand is in kind of rough shape. It is also made of particle board (which I think is a stupid idea because the stuff turns to mush when it gets wet). I have done some basic furnature work, and clocks etc.. but I have never built anything needing to hold quite this much weight. I was assuming it needed to be made with 2x4 support throughout and had guessed on a double layer of 3/4" plywood for where the tank actually rests. As far as the plywood thickness for the rest of the stand (front, sides, and back) I was thinking 1/2". Could I get away with a large cutout in the back so I could gt the sump in and out, or would I need to just make the doors big enough in the front?

here is a pic of the current stand/tank

I'm not the greatest carpenter and a real lousy finish carpenter, but I have made several stands that were fairly functional.
I'd skip the double top layer and I happen to like 3/4" plywood (oak, maple, etc.)for all sides.
Also I found making a door on the end of the stand helps with moving the sump in and out. This also makes it possible to go extra long with the sump.
Here's my tank build with a few pictures of my stand.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18939

a double layer of 3/4" plywood for where the tank actually rests.

I used a double layer of 3/4" plywood. Not because I thought I needed that much stiffness, but because I wanted to hang things from underneath the top of the stand.
I put in a series of T-nuts through the bottom layer of plywood (T on top, of course), and then glued the two sheets of plywood together. The top layer of plywood protects the bottom of the tank from me doing something dumb like screwing a bolt into the T-nut too far.
I have my make-up water tank hanging, a shelf for my wavemasterpro, etc.

Also, concerning what you need for the top - is it an edge-supported glass tank? If so, 1/4" ply for diagonal stiffness would be all that you would need on top.

Umm well if you frame it outa 2x4 realisticly you could prabably go even less on the sides and front, and as for the top (part the tank sits on) if you put several 2x4 braces fron to back i dont se a reason why you couldnt go with a single 3/4. Im not an expert but have some experience in building some furniture, you would be suppiresed probably at how strong a good sheet of 3/4 can be.

Thanks for all the help, I really like the door on the side idea. Did you build your doors out of plywood, or are they reinforced? I'm afraid if I use just plywood they will warp over time with all of the humidity

The doors on my stand were the pieces that I cutout for the openings. Just used
3/4"x3/4" quarter round moulding around the edges.
As long as it's sealed, you should have no problem with warping.
Another reason I use 3/4" plywood, thicker heavyer doors.

Yup i have to agree seal it, paint it what ever just make sure you do a through job and you shouldnt have much if any problem at all with warping.

First you have to decide what you want. Pick a style or design you like it doesnt matter if your trying to match a coffee table or your kitchen cabinets, just pick something you will want to live with.
Your design, tooling and skills will dictate the materials that need to be used.

Don

I made my stand out of 2x4's (125 gallon tank, with 55 refugium under it) I didnt use any plywood on the whole thing, just stick framed the 2x4's used egg crate below the tank so I can hang items off it (lights, etc). I used pine for the doors with a router easy for most people, and used wall panelling from home depot (pine stuff you can stain) cost me about 60 dollars total for the complete stand, can submit a picture if you want. Only have the tank supported at the seams where the trim is at, with 1 support beam in the center.

Back