Diy Uv Light?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Matt I checked around on this, Most have said, that the cost comparison is minimal to made units and the health risk to corals and animals are to great to attempt. One guy made one and found it really worked well but he ended up changing bulbs so often that it became problematic, So it is in his attic now. Bu8t maybe there is someone out there, that built one that has other testimony. But from what I saw it I dont think it somehing I would try.

The health risks are more of a concern to the people in the same room. Any light leaked will be a potential risk. The main problem will be finding a way to clean the bulbs as any build up will cause a marked degradation in efficacy.

I know it doesn't look that hard and I thought about it more than once myself, but same as stated above ... you can buy even a JEBO cheapo for less than it would likely cost to make one.

I think you would have to find a quartz sleeve to make it worth while and some fittings that would be considered as extremely "UV-proof". I'm sure it could be done ... I'd love to see some plans for one that's for sure.

Since I am building a 5-6 foot high skimmer,can I not build it so the quartz sleeve and bulb are in the middle of the skimmer and the bubbles go around it? Kind-of killing two birds with 1 stone.I can get all the parts from Emperor Aquatics. It is going to to be a slow flow air skimmer.
Matt

Most UV I've ever seen were opaque (non-transparent). All UVs I’ve seen also have a warning on them to NEVER look at the illuminated bulb. If it was built about as well as a manufactured UV ... I don't see why not.

Back