Do Berghia eat Majano's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was afraid of that. Grr... I'm getting overrun. I was looking at that other nudibranch SPURILLA NEAPOLITANA, but I'm afraid if I got one it would hurt my BTA.

I think I have the same ones as you. I use Kalswisser trick and that does work but you have to kill ALL of them, and retry a couple times. I did not so now they are back to bad numbers. I heard copperband will kill them but never seen one do it. Whatever you do don't scrub the rock. I did that and within 2 days the rock was covered with them. They are little buttheads for sure. If you find a trick let me know too PLEASE.

Good luck too.
Alison:)

Ive tried it... and a number of other cnidarians. The "Berghia" (actually Aeolidiella) that we have in the hobby are strict about Aiptasia.

they only flare/flourish when they are fed. If they boom, then there is a problem in the tank with weak water changes, poor skimming, weak water flow, etc (accumulated nutrients). Until that is taken care of... any fix will be temporary (they will return with a vengeance).

many folks have a few majanos in their tank and a year later... still only have a few. Its a sign of good nutrient control.

Use this as a beacon my friend. Manually extract what you can (swap rocks... chisel them off clean on other rocks you want/need to keep)... but above all, reduce nutrients. Is your water flow at least 30-60X turnover per hour? DO you thaw your frozen food and decant the juice away before feeding it? 25% monthly water changes bare minimum (10-20% weekly even better)? Is your skimmer tuned to produce a full dark cup of skimmate near daily>

If answers to the above are no... then its doesn't take too many months for nuisance algae or nuisance anemones to flare up.

Use this as a beacon my friend. Manually extract what you can (swap rocks... chisel them off clean on other rocks you want/need to keep)... but above all, reduce nutrients. Is your water flow at least 30-60X turnover per hour? DO you thaw your frozen food and decant the juice away before feeding it? 25% monthly water changes bare minimum (10-20% weekly even better)? Is your skimmer tuned to produce a full dark cup of skimmate near daily>

Flow:
30-60x tank volume or system volume?
Honestly I have no Idea what the actual turnover rate is in this system as I have a fairly complex head pressure situation. My return pump runs up from the basement (About 13feet to the top of the tank) through an ocean's motions sqirt and out through a system of 6 eductors. I suppose a good measure of the total amount coming in is the amount leaving (1400 GPH) but I don't know how to account for the eductors in this. In addition I have three powerheads to alleviate dead spots. They are 900, 1200, 1600gph each.

If I divide by system volume (about 200gal) turnover is about 25.5X if I divide by tank volume(125gal) its about 41x.

Food:
I don't "clean the food, probably time to start.

Water changes are about 25% monthly. I can ramp this up as I have a significant amount of automation that makes it easy.

Skimmer: The skimmer draws from the sump, so it is not running at its most efficient. I have often thought of modifying the skimmer to feed from an overflow but honestly I don't want to break my skimmer trying to modify it. I will try this last.

Removing rocks is probably not an option but I can try to kalk the anemones I can reach.

Back