Do corals compete with each other for available calcium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Esper

If certain corals are faster at calcification than others, given a finite amount of calcium available in a tank, is each coral competing with each other for available calcium? Can we assume that "faster growing" corals are uptake calcium more competitively in their specific environments (i.e. tank location) than others?

or does this really matter as long as we artificially maintain calcium levels?(i.e., input calcium to the system regularly through reactors, kalk, two-part, etc)

stated differently, besides monitoring & correcting for overall calcium uptake, is there any way "decrease competition" so to speak?

All calcium consuming corals including coralline algae compete for calcium. With calcium levels maintained about 380ppm growth will be normal. Alkalinity levels are more critical to maintain in a fairly narrow window IMO (2.7- 3.7 meq/L). Also magnesium is important. It should be maintained at about 3x your calcium ppm. For example if calcium is 400ppm a good number for magnesium would be 1200ppm.

Regards,
Kevin

All stony corals use calcium.....sps & lps. Clams will use a lot as well. I am not sure about softies calcium requirements but in my tank they are like a "canary in a coal mine" for my alk levels.

Some types of soft corals use small amounts of calcium also. For the overall health of all corals it is best to try and match their natural environment as close as possible. It is usually recommended to maintain the alkalinity slightly higher than NSW but the rest of the parameters should be pretty close.

Regards,
Kevin

Some types of soft corals use small amounts of calcium also. For the overall health of all corals it is best to try and match their natural environment as close as possible. It is usually recommended to maintain the alkalinity slightly higher than NSW but the rest of the parameters should be pretty close.

Regards,
Kevin

is this because alk is consumed at a fast rate in aquaria?

Back