Do i need a ro/di system?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The particle filter and the carbon filter were costing that much? I assume that new RO/DI unit just uses cheaper particle and carbon filters.

The cost of each cartridge was over $17.00when you buy 3 at a time. I could get about 80 gallons out of each cartridge and then it was exhausted. Since RO/DI cartridges lasted much longer and the RO membrane lasted 3 years, I figured it up and it would pay for itself in a year. The API unit would start showing TDS at 75 to 80 gallons then rapidly poop out after that. At $17.00 every 80 gallons, I was getting exhausted out, of money. It was a good unit and other than it was expensive to use, it was a good, compact unit. I now have a BRS 5 stage unit, and I am very happy with it. I have been using it for 6 months now, I haven't had to change anything on it yet and the DI cartridge is about 1/3rd exhausted. The cartridges, which I have on the shelf are inexpensive, and the RO membrane I think are about $40.00. Those last 3 years.

Was the API unit RO? or just a filter unit? If you were just getting 80 gallons, it sounds like filters only.

If you go to Drs. Foster & Smith and look up API TAP Water Filter, it is a dionizer unit. It doesn't say that, but that is what it is, according to API. I still have it, but I don't use it. The unit is inexpensive itself, but the filters are not. It works well, but the worse the water is going in, the less the filter lasts. It is dionization only and it does produce 0 TDS, when the filter is good. It is not an RO unit at all.

Makes much more sense.

Thanks for the clarification.

No problem, Don. I got it when I was first into the hobby. I had spent so much money at the beginning that I was looking for something cheap, that would work. It did do a good job, but the more I got into it, the more I realized that I needed an RODI unit.

Back