Do I really need an overflow?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Then when the power comes back on the over flow needs to start siphoning again by itself. If you just have some kinda pipe in the water and the siphon doesn't start it will over flow your tank and there goes the happy wife.

+1.........................

Well I can't think of a way to make the siphon start again once the power comes back on, that and the rest of your guys concerns has me thinking I should buy an overflow box. I found a good deal on a used CPR CS90 overflow box. Any thoughts on that one? Thanks for all the great feedback on my first post on RF. You've probably saved me from a very wet floor and unhappy wife

I have not ever used a CPR overflow, but have heard good reviews and not so good. Everybody has a preference.
I do know it has a maximum of 600gph flow through it, so your return pump should be less than that.
I also know they use a aqua-lifter to ensure they do restart after a poweroutage.

Contact OBD they can build you one. Or at lest give you good advice on a quiet one. I have had some that were really loud and they can usually be modded to quiet them down.

I have not ever used a CPR overflow, but have heard good reviews and not so good. Everybody has a preference.
I do know it has a maximum of 600gph flow through it, so your return pump should be less than that.
I also know they use a aqua-lifter to ensure they do restart after a poweroutage.

I have used CPR overflows on perhaps 6 tanks.
Set up right, they are foolproof and near silent.
A better plan than aqua-lifter is gravity feed with hose near intake of return pump. When pump restarts after any power outage, the pump re-primes the syphon.

Think I have one left over in the stuff in the garage could let go for cheap.

Thanks but I think I found a food deal know a sump, Rio 2100pump, and cpr cs90 overflow all for $70. Herefishyfishy how does that set up work? I was thinking that the pump and line to the overflow need to be on opposite sides of the sump?

Thanks but I think I found a food deal know a sump, Rio 2100pump, and cpr cs90 overflow all for $70. Herefishyfishy how does that set up work? I was thinking that the pump and line to the overflow need to be on opposite sides of the sump?

Sounds like a good deal. The line I was referring to is there is a spot at the top of the CPR to purge out the air. It is designed to fit a standard vinyl air hose and they recommend having an aqualifter sucking on it all the time. I take that air line and have it go down into the sump. Gravity keeps it draining and pulling out air bubbles that accumulate in the CPR. I keep the end near the intake of the return pump. The venturi effect will re-prime the overflow after the pump starts back up in the event of a prolonged power outage. Prevents having to depend on an aqualifter which can burn out. I have three aqualifters for sale too if you want one.

That does sound like a pretty good deal.

I'd look into using herefishyfishy's idea on the air line.
One complaint about the cpr overflow was the problem with the aqualifter.

On my sumps, (which I use a 3 chambered sump), I have the water coming from the overflow going into the first chamber. This where I put a skimmer and the highest baffle. The second chamber is for my refugium. Just chaeto, not rock or sand. The third chamber is for the return pump area.
This is a design I like because to me it is simple. Water flows one direction.

So I bought my set up, it did come with an a aqualifter but I will try out Herefishyfishys idea first. My sump is a 3 chamber like yours mfinn but I was planning to use sand, live rock, and chaeto, how come you skipped the sand and live rock?

So I bought my set up, it did come with an a aqualifter but I will try out Herefishyfishys idea first. My sump is a 3 chamber like yours mfinn but I was planning to use sand, live rock, and chaeto, how come you skipped the sand and live rock?

IMO all it does is trap detritus.
I use the rock and sand in the display tank.

I should add, that what I said was only my own opinion, and the way I like to do it.
I have seen some pretty nice planted refugiums. Rock, sand, mud and lots of varieties of macro algaes.
There are many different ways to make this hobby work.

I have heard that you want to pull the top surface of the aquarium water out because many of the reasons we have a sump filtration is on the surface of the water...

Back