Do Not Buy A.P.I. !

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wsboyette

Fisherman
A caveat for newcomers to the hobby: Stay away from the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand test kits, they give false readings and cannot be trusted. I just had a brand new ammonia test kit of theirs to read .25+ ppm on a sample of pure bottled water. Those cheaper tests just aren't worth the savings versus quality kits such as Salifert.....

I will tell you exactly what the folks on Reef Central did. You may have gotten a bad test kit but that doesn't mean API is a bad company or sells bad product. I've used them in the past but seem to remember that a couple of their test kits didn't offer the low range resolution I was looking for. They worked but weren't suitable for my needs. If you got a bad kit take it back to the store or contact API directly. I do agree that Salifet is probably a higher quality kit, and I use Elos and Hanna Checkers but I have to disagree with your assessment that API is junk.

Mike

Guess I'm just a perfectionist then, maybe I expect too much. But bad data is useless and misleading, and any mfr's whose tests that give inaccurate readings are not to be trusted.

Guess I'm just a perfectionist then, maybe I expect too much. But bad data is useless and misleading, and any mfr's whose tests that give inaccurate readings are not to be trusted.

Not necessarily. Nothing is perfect in this world. Not even us perfectionists ;). Take Instant ocean as an example. Every poll or thread I've ever seen conducted on which salt brand is the best, instant ocean always seemed to come out on top over the others mainly due to their consistency. I always use instant ocean and would never switch, but on that same note I have had bad batches of it I had to toss. You buy an expensive powerhead like a vortech and you will get one or two out of the box that has a problem. It's just the way it goes. Nothing is perfect. You may have gotten a bad kit which could have happened had you bought salifert instead. Nothing is a guarantee. Then on that same token, maybe the test was right (unless you confirmed the inaccuracy with a different kit) and the new water may have been bad/high in ammonia. I use to buy my ro/di water from a water plant here and had to switch using that water company's water when they started producing inconsistent water. People were getting sick even and the first thing people jumped up and said, "nope! It can't be the water! That's filtered water" until tests were performed. Now hardly anyone uses them anymore and buys their water from the other water plants instead and this was a major water plant here.

So with that said, I wouldn't go so far as to knock API saying they are total crap. Yes, there are better kits out there, but nothing is perfect and you will have bad batches no matter what you use or buy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
some will argue that every one of the test kits that are commercially available are highly inaccurate - relying on a titrate testing model, where some people's drops are bigger than others, etc, can give you inaccurate results - just like with the dip strips where the water from one test patch can drip to another

if you want 100% accuracy you'd really need to go to a laboratory and do a full spectral analysis of your water samples every time - since this isn't available for most of us on a daily basis, we accept the occasional inaccuracy in exchange for convenience

No matter how accurate or inaccurate typical titration test kits are, even the most accurate will have bad batches. Their are other "variables" that can come into play, as Estanoche mentioned. The change in color can also be perceived, differently, by different people.

As an example of one 'variable,' I've always used Salifert. With the Calcium test kit, I was always a bit confused by the directions, and the wording "...clear blue..." The words "clear blue" can be interpreted differently. With the Salifert Clacium test kit, the color changes to a "cloudy blue" and then a "clear blue." So, do the instructions mean that you've reached your end point when the color has changed to a "clear blue," or when the color has clearly changed to blue, even though it's cloudy? I happen to know the answer, but ONLY because I contacted Salifert for "clarification," which led to a thread on RC about this. Most people, including myself, believed that they'd reached the end point, when the color changed to a "clear (non cloudy) blue." This is NOT the case. The end point has been reached when the color has clearly changed from purple to blue, YES the cloudy, but clearly, blue.

So, interpretations can cause slight inaccuracies. The way our eyes interpret the color, can cause slight inaccuracies. Even the lighting, in the room, can effect the color that we see, again, causing slight inaccuracies.

None of this even takes batches into account.

Another thing that can effect accuracy is the expiration date AND how old the kit is, regardless of the expiration date. As the liquids are used up, any slight inaccuracy will be compounded. For instance, take a salinity calibration fluid... Each time you open it, there's a miniscule amount of evaporation possible. The longer you leave the lid off, the more evaporation happens. As the fluid is used up, any possible evaporation is magnified, making the fluid even less accurate, with time. The same holds true for any titration test kit.

I have no complaints with my API kit. I still took water samples to the LFS every now and again just because it was free and the results matched. Besides...telling my wife that I had to get the water tested was an awesome reason to go to the LFS. It's hard telling how long the kit sat on a shelf before going to another shelf then ending up with you. Contact the store or API. Good customer service is worth its weight in gold.

And always make sure the test tubes are clean too.

Also, exposure to extreme heat can damage hobbyist test kits. This can happen to any manufacturer's kits, at any point in the distribution chain. Pretty hard to blame the manufacturer for this. I would judge a company on how they resolve a situation like this.

Back