Do-overs, what to do with an old undergravel filter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mrcolbeck

My tank has been running for at least 10 years with fish and live rock. About a year ago I lost several SPS that I had added gradually including a 8" M. capricornis that grew from a quarter sized frag. I don't know what caused the sudden die off. My clowns and algae scrubbers survived. Since then the scrubbers declined and algae took over.

Now I'm cleaning up the tank and trying to improve the system for corals again (without spending $$, I've been layed off for several months.) Longer term I plan to hook up a 10 gallon sump, upgrade to a larger venturi skimmer instead of the small intank reverse flow skimmer I use now. For now I have to focus on restoring the things I already have.

I removed a lot of algae by hand and added 5 turbo snails that are doing a good job on the rest. In a few weeks I will be tearing the tank apart so I can install flooring. This gives me the opportunity to do something about the remaining bubble algaes and crushed coral bed.

I'm hoping that I can move the bubble algae infested rocks to an unlit tank so it can die off without harming the remaining organisms in/on the live rock. (feather dusters, red sponges, maybe others I can't see.)

The crushed coral was originally part of an undergravel filter. The plate and one lift tube are still there but I removed the pump from it long ago. Should I get rid of the plate or leave the space under the bed? I can't afford to replace the gravel with live sand, do I really need to?

I expect this to be a long process, so I'm just trying to take it step by step.

if u have sump why not go bear bottom?
when was the last time u did a good sand syphon?? its probly full of crap

I don't have a sump yet. I plan to set it up when I add new equpiment. I wouldn't go BB because I don't like the look.

I syphon the gravel in the front of the tank every water change, but there's probably still crap under the rock in back.

ditch the undergravel plate. you can build a plenum instead to help with denitrification. probably do a search on this forum about plenums. as for the algae, cooking the rock in darkness takes about 3 months or so before you notice any improvement. being the tank 10 years old you probably experienced old tank syndrome. since you have the time, if your gonna redo everything i would save some crushed coral in a with your live rock to save some critters and bacteria and then rinse the rest of your crushed coral clean and start over. place the crushed coral above the plenum and then run a phosphate reactor. after a couple weeks add the live rock after its been properly cooked from algae. if you can run a phosphate reactor while the live rock is cooking that will help eliminate any phosphates leaching from the rocks. good luck

Thanks. I thought the UG filter plate would work as a plenum. I'll look for threads on that. Will a plenum work with gravel (2-5 mm) or does it need sand?

If I run a phosphate reactor will I have to move the clowns?

Thanks. I thought the UG filter plate would work as a plenum. I'll look for threads on that. Will a plenum work with gravel (2-5 mm) or does it need sand?

If I run a phosphate reactor will I have to move the clowns?

i guess it would work with the filter plate. i use eggcrate for mine wrapped with window screen. but i think there has to be a depth, a space of void for the plenum. maybe stacking the filter plate over layed down pvc tubes. there is a book, the reef aquarium 3, by julian spring and charles delbeek that goes in depth in creating certain biotopes for the display aquarium. i highly recommend this for reading. i believe amazon used books go for around 45 bucks. well worth the money. as for the phosphate reactor, the clowns would be fine. just remember to run the effluent in a bucket for a minute or two on intial startup of the reactor, dont want the fines ending up in the tank.

I still run my UG filter but I run it in reverse very slow. My tank will be 40 years old next year and I do not see any Old Tank Syndrome yet. If you run it the way I say your tank will last forever with no problems.
Good luck

i guess it would work with the filter plate. i use eggcrate for mine wrapped with window screen. but i think there has to be a depth, a space of void for the plenum. maybe stacking the filter plate over layed down pvc tubes. there is a book, the reef aquarium 3, by julian spring and charles delbeek

The UG plate has about a 1/2 to 3/4" space under it. For a while I had a slow reverse flow. About 4-5 years ago I removed the pump because I read that 1/2" was enough space for a plenum (and the pump kept jamming in reverse mode.)

I'm definitely going to check out the Sprung and Delbeek book and look for other posts on plenums. Thanks. I have about 2 weeks before I tear down the tank. I'll rebuild the plenum and gravel bed with a minimum of rock while I cook the rest. Phosphate reactor may have to wait depending on cost.

Wow, hey paul I had no idea you visited RF. By the way I have a different screen name here so you have no idea who I am. HA HA HA Lets just say I admire you and you methods.

I would take what advice Paul B gives you. His tank is beautifull. His methods go against the grain but, for myself I like the old school method of just about anything. Paul B can tell you how to use the UG and set it up right.

i would recommend going BB as well.. the look isnt so much as important as the function

a BB setup will really help with keeping clean... and it will allow an area for detritus to build up makeing it eazyer for you 2 see...

i would recommend going BB as well.. the look isnt so much as important as the function

a BB setup will really help with keeping clean... and it will allow an area for detritus to build up makeing it eazyer for you 2 see...

Going BB requires more equipment than I can afford, plus I would miss all the critters in the sand/gravel bed. After seeing and reading about Paul B's tank I may go back to slow reverse UG once the bed is cleaned out.

I removed a few pieces of rock to another tank for cooking and syphoned the gravel clean. I scrubbed the rocks clean of algae first and found a lot more critters in the rock and water column than I expected. Nitrates are near zero with only a trace of phosphates.

i would recommend going BB as well.. the look isnt so much as important as the function QUOTE]

Not to pick on ya, and I have no problem with running a BB tank (I have one of each) BUT for many of us the look is rather the point of running a tank in the first place :)

update: no changes, tank stable, clowns spawned.

Since I originally posted my question I have done relatively little to my tank. I did re-install the reverse flow to the UG filter and upgraded my other pumps to increase circulation. I shut down half my lights to fix wiring problems and ended up leaving them off. With 110w using 50/50 PC bulbs (40 gal tank) the coraline algae is growing fine and the hair algae grows so slowly that 2 turbo snails and a dozen hermits are staying ahead of it.

My clowns seem to love the tank the way it is, because they just spawned this morning. I have a mushroom leather coral that the female has been checking out for a few months, but they actually have been using the last large patch of hair algae as their 'host anemone.' the spawn site is the underside of a very hairy rock just touching the each of the hair algae.

Thanks Paul for your comments in support of UG.

MrColbeck, thanks, your tank seems very healthy and well put together. Of course with the RUGF, it will run that way forever.:lol:

Back