Do peppermint Shrimp eat zoanthids???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baseballkid5

Im sure theres some literature. But i wanted to ask for any first hand experience. Ive had some Zoas dissapearing and ive went throught them pretty seroiusly and have dipped them. I did not find any Pests so i was a little pissed off.. Tonight with the lights out i went to the tank and tried to see anything moving and i seen a peppermint on the frag rack where the zoas are dissapearing. he Jetted when i got real close. But he came back and i was really really Lucky to scoop him in the dark out of the tank hes in the sumo and might end up in the toilet im so pissed..

'I lost 3 Purple Hornets, 4-6 Blue Steels, 5 Seahawks Blues, 3 candy apples,some other nicer zoas as well. So ill be needing to replace these when i can get a polyp of each. SOAB it makes me mad just typing it. Oh Happy Reefing..
Thanks for the Input. Ill keep checking throughout the next few nights.. See if anything else dissapears.
Thanks
Scott

Critters are unpredictable...have seen the impossible happen before..good you caught him ..now see if anything disappears while he is in the sump...

I had some that started to eat my bubble coral before they got banished to the sump. I think its odd for them to snack on zoas..... but you never know with these critters.

Well... as said some stuff happens... but all that aside.. no they do not. IME ive seen this (what your watching) meny times and they are cleaning... or eating whats inbetween..

you will know when they are eating a zoo... pieces and chuncks come flying out.. (they are messy eaters)

i would look for a snail or something else eating.... try moveing the frag rack..

if the shrimp goes right to it the next night then you know there after something there.

also id like a picture of this shrimp.. it might not be what you think it is.

From my experience my peppermints have never touched my zoas but I would move them around to see if the peppermints chase after them.

ohhh:(sorry to hear...i hope the peppermint shrimp is th culprit tht way u dont have to worry anyore since u already caught him....

IME ive seen this (what your watching) meny times and they are cleaning... or eating whats inbetween..
you will know when they are eating a zoo... pieces and chuncks come flying out.. (they are messy eaters)
i would look for a snail or something else eating.... try moveing the frag rack..
if the shrimp goes right to it the next night then you know there after something there.
also id like a picture of this shrimp.. it might not be what you think it is.

camel shrimp can be problematic, I've had peppermints go rouge and pull food out of the mouths of corals such as acans as they begin to associate them as a food source...this pisses the corals off and can cause some problems...are you sure you don't have Z.E.N.?
ps...my avatar is an example of what happened when I did have a peppermint turn on corals...haha

I had one eat frog spawn. but it never ate zoos. I got rid of him after that so I dont have long term experience.

Just speaking from my own exp. I introduced 5 (Farm Raised) P Shrimp about a year ago to controll aptasia. They have successfully ate all and kept them in check enough to were I have not seen one in 5 months. I have a mainly zoa tank with over 1000 polyps and never seen a P shrimp mess with them at all. With my aptasia gone they feed on whatever I feed my coral and fish.
Rich

Back