Do you name your fish?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lunchie

This might seem like a quirky thread but I was just wondering if others out there named their fish and other inhabitants of their tanks. I look forward to hearing from you all. I am new to this hobby but I have always been an animal lover...so of course I have named my fish...

Yellow Tank: Cooper
Arrow Crab: Ro-Ro

absloutely the sad part is at one time I owned a carpet anemonie i named oscar the grouch. and i started naming my fish burger fries etc cause he would eat everything including his clown fish. he got a diffrent name after that i just can't say it here!

I have a clownfish named bobo. I have a royal gramma named husky (yellow and purple) I have a fire shrimp named sizzle, I had a frogfish named Cow. For the most part I dont really name them unless something about them stands out.

I have a clownfish pair that are 14 or older years old ... I hate to say it but they do not have names. None of my fish do ... Don't ask me why ... but now I would be afraid to name them ... haha

I've become somewhat superstitious about naming fish....as soon as my kid or wife names a fish, it mysteriously dies shortly thereafter.... :doubt: The un-named fish, however, seem to do just fine. :lol: So one of my reefkeeping rules is *Fish Have No Names....* :D

MikeS

I have had the same experience as mike. Every time i or someone else names a fish it dies. There is strict no fish name rule in my house!!!!!!!!!!!

My 15 year old daughter has named everything in my tank and insists we call them by there given name when talking about them. MikeS Interesting tid bit a test was done on someone hooked on astrology a friend noted his life for months then he was told not to look at the charts any more and the friend continued to note his life and compare it to the astrological forecast as was being done before and it turned out when he read it his life paralleled the forecasts when he did not read it his life did not parallel it so maybe superstition has nothing to do with it anyway may your next fish live long and prosper HAHA :)

Of course, the naming method may be a valuable tool for removing problematic fish....like that damsel you got when the tank was new who is impossible to catch and is now terrorizing newer tankmates....just give him a cute name and watch him float.... :badgrin:

MikeS

My better half, and my girls have named all of my fish. Its been over a year now with them, and I'm still calling them "The Sailfin, the Camelback Clown, the Scooter Blennie"... while the ladies are going "Lollypop, Buttercup, Scooter (this one I understand)"... and I'm always lost as to which fish they are talking about!

However, I will have to admit, "Clarice" actually seemed to fit my White Stripe Maroon, that was about 6" long... Cause I could hear Anthony Hopkins saying "Hello Clarice" just as plain as day... and that darn fish was a DEVIL FISH!!! *Grinz*

No names just what they are. Naso, blue face, bicolor, coral beauty, pygmy, yellow tang, yellow tail, and clown. I agree with the name and die rule. Its always worked that way for me too. LOL Steve

no names. The only reason I keep fish in my tank is for the girls. That is all they see in the big glass box and maybe hey is that snail alive. Ladies love the aquarium.

Of course, the naming method may be a valuable tool for removing problematic fish....like that damsel you got when the tank was new who is impossible to catch and is now terrorizing newer tankmates....just give him a cute name and watch him float....

ROFL!

Yes, I name my fish...and inverts.....with the help of my daughter :) . Oh, and these inhabitants are in both the big tank and the nano.

The Magnificant Rabbitfish is Ariel (courtesy of my 3 year old)
The Bicolor Blenny is Humphrey
Emerald Crabs are: Erika and Annaleese (again the 3 year old)
Fighting Conch is Jasmine (3 year old named it)
The clams are referred to as the clams.

well let's see, my 18 months old son calls my true percula clowns nemos :doubt: , the Cobalt Cromis we named him lucky, the emerald crab is mr. krabs, the fire shrimp is shrimpy, and all the snails we called them gary :p

Since our tanks are located in our business having a "nemo" is a necessity so...

We have
NeMo and MoNe - true percs of course
Big Mama & Little Papa - Clarkiis and 5.5" and 5"
Flame - is a Flame angel of course

my Roses - predictably are the rose anemones

the rest are unnamed.

The one that needs a name really bad is my convict goby that is about 10" long. Any suggestions.....
Creator of Mountains is just a little bit to long to stick but would be appropriate since he has about a 6 inch sandbed to work with in a 100 gal tank. :)

Candy

oh yes, we have Bernie, Dory, Bubbles, Megaladon, Sunny, Nemo, Marlin, Coral, Tiger, and Runty :lol: :lol:

wrightme43 said:
I got to second Brads comment. Girls love fish tanks. I love girls and fish tanks so I works out for me. LOL

Seems to be working for me, My ex of 2 years is now thinking that it might be possible for us to be together again... now that I've dumped my dead end CS interests and gone back to fishies and photography.... YAY! :) :D :D :D

My wife named my first lionfish...she is Japanese, so go figure *Sushi*
My second lionfish came to me with a name from a friend, he has a significant kink in his tail, so *Kinky* :lol:

Back