Do you run a chiller?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No. My tank and all equipment is in the garage. I have an attic fan with a temp sensor that turns on when the temp in the garage reaches 74-5 degrees. Hot air is pushed out of the garage and cool/cold air is sucked into the garage from the crawl space. (instant chiller) :)

Well that's one way to vent it I guess LOL :)
Thanks for the reply mfinn.
Basically I am looking for ways people have built them into there cabinetry.

I did kind of think figure that's what you wanted, but when I moved mine outside, it was just soo much better all the way around for me.
No noise or heat to deal with.

i had mine inside then after getting tired of listening to it relocated it to the patio. i installed mine in a rubbermaid storage shed. much nicer than having it in the house.

I have mine in my refugium stand, which is open to the air (under the fuge)

Seems to do the job, and I don't vent it, just let it's heat disperse into the room.

Only had it on for about 2 weeks total this last summer, and it seemed to do the job. Tank never got above 80.

No worries, I am happy to have all these responses. (except for the formica one! Man! I do wood for a living LOL)
I have been building a stand for my frag tank and am working on a plywood conduit so the heat does not blow into my stand. So I have been looking for ideas.
I am thinking of lining the conduit with some type of water proof insulation also for any condensation that may blow off.
I will get some pictures up later when I get a bit further along.
Thank you for all the replies so far everyone.

lolplease wait 2 seconds for an uncompressed image, or press Ctrl+F5 for original quality page

I to have my 1/4 h next to my 135g with 1200w of MH's in my dining room and it does put off some heat but if your chiller is sized properly and you have everything set up correctly it shouldn't run that often I wouldn't recommend putting it inside your stand unless its seperate from sump area with plenty of ventilation. This is the number one reason a chiller quits working, due to corrosion especially on the fan.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)
This is what I have decided to do. I am building a custom duct work for my chiller. I want everything to be hidden this time inside.
This is what i came up with.
It will be sealed off tight when I make the front panels:
005-29.jpg

009-22.jpg

You can see that i have the air blowing under the chiller and back out the front. I will make a custom vent that will blow the air to the sides away from the chillers intake.
Here's an exclusive on the stand itself. I have not shown anyone this until now. It will be a 60 gallon peninsula.
006-21.jpg

Back