Do you use a Phosphate Remover?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do you use a Phosphate Remover?

• No - currently I don't use one

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • Iron Based (ROWAphos, PhosBan, PHOSaR, etc.)

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Aluminum Based (PhosGuard, etc.)

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Filter Pads (i.e. Polyfilter, etc.)

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • More than one of the above

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters
Don't they all?

I have a few Caulerpa, Codium, Halymenia, Halimeda, Chaetomorpha species, plus the a few unicellular( Tetraselmis and Chaetocerous.

I am blonde, but I could be mistaken, but I thought there was PO4 consumption by algae?

SWPlantedTank said:
Don't they all?

I have a few Caulerpa, Codium, Halymenia, Halimeda, Chaetomorpha species, plus the a few unicellular( Tetraselmis and Chaetocerous.

I am blonde, but I could be mistaken, but I thought there was PO4 consumption by algae?

For those that use macro's for nutrient export then you won't need the phosphate remover but since I don't use it PO4 will be a problem eventually.

Macro in Refugium

I've never used a phosphate remover until now. I have used a CPR HOB refugium with Macro growing in it but lately I have felt that it was actually contributing to my red slime problem. Seemed to build up algae in it the worst. Maybe the water was moving too slowly through it. Anyone else notice this problem with HOB refugiums? I just took it off and I am going to try a bag of phoshate remover in a HOB filter. I guess I should check my phosphate before and after. I don't have a really bad problem but I do notice a couple little patches of the red slime from hell getting started. Of course, could be my lights as well..........

Last edited:
I know phosphates feed algae, so you don't want PO4....but I don't understand if there's any benefit other than that. I use purified RO/DI water in my tank so no Phosphates are introduced into the tank. So If i'm doing that, do i need a phosphate remover? I had the impression that if you use RO/DI water, that you don't need to worry about PO4. Does anyone know if that's the case?

zenn said:
I know phosphates feed algae, so you don't want PO4....but I don't understand if there's any benefit other than that. I use purified RO/DI water in my tank so no Phosphates are introduced into the tank. So If i'm doing that, do i need a phosphate remover? I had the impression that if you use RO/DI water, that you don't need to worry about PO4. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Rodi is just a single tool. If you are feeding your fish, your feeding phosphates. Now this does not mean you need to run out and buy Rowa. Monitor your P, then make the decision.

Don

On top of foods, phosphates can also be introduced when using a calcium reactor.

Maybe it is time for a review :D

Phosphorus: Algae's Best Friend
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

Necessary Nutrition, Foods and Supplements, A Preliminary Investigation
http://web.archive.org/web/20010720071031/http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish/data/foods.asp

Reef Aquaria with Low Soluble Metals
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rhf/feature/index.php
Has comp of some reactor media.

Although the std in this hobby is .03ppm, remember in the ocean it is more like .005 ppm and can be lower than that on reefs. Also, do not forget that even if it was 0.000 ppm does not mean no problems. It is quite common on reefs to remove wanted nutrients as fast as they are produced. Meaning, if your tank actually had 0.00 ppm PO4 you still can have an algae problem. A kit is only a guide. Your phosphate kits are also not measuring all forms of phosphate, i.e., Organic Phosphates ( a big problem), Metaphosphates, Polyphosphates, but just measuring PO4/Orthophosphates.

Last edited:
just added a phosban reactor 150 about a month ago.. I use Phosban. seems to do an Ok job, but if I'm being honest, I was expecting to see a bigger improvement in the amount of hair and red cyano I have growing in my sump.

Back