Do you use any man-made rock in your tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do you use any man-made rock in your tank?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Not yet... but maybe next time I need more rock.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I did... but not now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters

Electrobes

I am curious to see how many of y'all use any man-made rock, be it actual rock pieces or even rock walls, etc. When I say man-made I mean anything created not by nature, but by human hand.

Kinda curious to see what percentage of the members do use it. Please, by all means, post your opinion of why or why not.. I'd love to hear it. :D

I don't. Never tried to make my own rocks before, but I saw an article on Garf's site about it a long time ago.

i have seen a few tanks with man made rock normally a concreat based mixture with dead rock in it to make "lock spots" for other rocks to sit in so i dont really know how to answer
not yet i guess

dailydriven: Marco rocks is man-made?

Brandy: I remember that article, but haven't seen much activity from GARF in a while now.

MDMirage:I am not sure if Lace rock is safe.. I know I've seen it for sale as marine rock, but I thought I read a warning about its usage.

Okay I was about to say... they do some ridiculously excellent work if they had been man-made! :lol:

I like the frag rocks that I got from the filter guys. They look ok and function well. Those are the only ones ive tried.

Don

I currently have a piece of man made rock in one tank and I am starting to think it is the origin of the Dinoflaggaletts I recently battled with....Grrrr. It's a beautiful Arch too. Dinos are now under control, but it's got me wondering.

In the past, I've used Tufa Stone in a reef tank, but no other man made rock. I've knocked around the idea of trying my hand at making some, someday.

I do not know what was used to make it, nor how long it cured before I got it. But I let it cure for several months before using it. It's still in a tank and no longer causing any problems at all. I do know that I drilled some holes in it, to accommodate frag plugs and it's very dense "rock." I also know that it was "aquacultured" in Hawaii after being "created."

Hmm interesting. I was hoping to find out the aggregates.. find out the cause of the problems. I'm glad to hear they've gone away though.

Back