Does anyone know what has been known to eat Xenia?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baseballkid5

I have over 30 stalks of Pom Pom xenia and 10-20 stalks of Silver tip Xenia. but im noticing the tips of the xenia are looking like something is Messing with them or perhaps there dying. There in a 75 gallon Params are good Nitrate trace but Other params in check. I have Some larger Crabs Im thinking. I put a Aptasia eating Nudi in could he be doing it? No new fish additions since the Xenias been thriving. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Are the tips missing? With xenia, the most important thing isn't nitrates, it's ph. Sometimes xenia will drop it's heads when they get stressed. That stress is usually due to a ph drop. Check it and if it's not 8.3 or above, get it back up there.

Just goes to show you that although one person has had a specific experience with a fish or invertebrate, it doesn't mean that you'll have the same experience or results.

I just saw my blue hermit crabs munching on some baby zenia.

Thank god the zenia is a frickin weed and has amost taken over my 30gal.

we had problems w/ stalks of brand spankin' new pom pom frags disappearing a while back. sat up in front of the tank one night and came across this:
DSC_0041.JPG

rf members helped identify the worm as an uncommon polychaete w/ a appetite for xenia. maybe try staying up late + watching your tank one night to see if you come across any hungry hitchhikers?

Back