Does mud have any impact on water clarity?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DougH

I'm setting up a 180g w/ 30g Refugium and a seperate sump w/ ASM G3 Sedra 7000 skimmer.

Will using miracle mud (approx 10 lbs in a portion of the refugium have any impact on water clarity?

I will be using mostly Chaeto and maybe some other macros (limiting volume of calurpa).

I will be adding ozone and UV also.

Thanks
Doug

Well, I've never used the stuff before, but I would imagine if it is made for aquariums, and people use it, then it must not affect clarity. I would think though that it would cloud up the water some when first putting it in (just like live sand), but I would imagine everything will be fine once it settles...Just a thought. Like I've said, no personal experience with it, just wanted throw in my 2 cents. Best of luck:)

tommorrow night we are getting a speaker(the man himself) on it so I will tell you what he says.

Brad - could you ask him this question also?

Thanks Brad, I'm in Los Angeles area, otherwise I would like to hear the President of EcoSystems speak.

Here are a couple questions that I wish I could ask:

1. Water clarity impact

2. Why is EcoSystems miracle mud so much more expensive than CaribSea Refugium mud? (I know it will be a biased question, maybe a good explanation???)

3. Is using a 10" high partions adequate for a refugium? (converted sump is 36L x 12w).

4. Is 600 gph adedquate time for the trace element exchange in a 36 x 12 size?

5. Should the Refugium have any cleaning crews? (I've read no, just macro).

Thank you,
Doug

How was the speaker from EcoSystems refug?

Anyone attend the meeting w/ the EcoSystems speaker?

I'm curious to what he might of said.

(I'm in Los Angeles, otherwise would have liked to be there).

Thanks
Doug

Clowdy only during set up

Hi Doug I have a 2 year old Ecosystem Refuge with Lots of Miracle mud The fuge was sized for a 300 gallon system I have chetco and Mangroves growing in it and it is a swell pod factory as well Only negative feed back is the Jahli lights don't hold up that well and is was spendy for a fuge but I am very happy with it Hope this helps...Jeff

DougH said:
I'm setting up a 180g w/ 30g Refugium and a seperate sump w/ ASM G3 Sedra 7000 skimmer.

Will using miracle mud (approx 10 lbs in a portion of the refugium have any impact on water clarity?

I will be using mostly Chaeto and maybe some other macros (limiting volume of calurpa).

I will be adding ozone and UV also.

Thanks
Doug

Back