Does my anemone need more light?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jennwest

It moved yesterday after being in the same spot for about a month. I haven't changed anything in the tank so I am not really sure why. I feel like its stretching towards the light. The foot is half on a rock and half on the wall. I have also noticed a few tentacles falling off, but it has positioned itself right next a high flow area so that might be the cause. The tentacles seem to be a lot longer on one side.
I have the 20 inch Nova extreme pro t5ho with 3 10k and 3 460nm actinics. I was told this is good lighting for an anemone but now I'm not sure.
JaNq9TMl.jpg

All together about 8 months, though there was a move 3 months ago. I know you're supposed to wait longer, but my water has been consistently good and I've been wanting one for a few years. Everything else in the tank has been doing really well and growing so I feel like it is something specific to just the anemone (if there is something wrong)

Dont go messing with it. An anemone will move all over the place till its happy. Only time i have ever moved my anemone was when it got to close to one of my mp40 pumps and i watched as a tentacle was shredded. Other than that, just keep an eye on it. If it looks like its melting, chances are its to late to save/recover. How high is your light from the water and what is your tank size and livestock?

That lighting should be just fine for it. Like Pandora said, It will move around to find the place it likes. If you have any powerheads in the tank, keep a real close eye on it. They have a tendancy to get themselves caught up in the power heads and its not pretty!
It looks to have great color. so its looking good. Keep us posted on how its doing.

Dont go messing with it. An anemone will move all over the place till its happy. Only time i have ever moved my anemone was when it got to close to one of my mp40 pumps and i watched as a tentacle was shredded. Other than that, just keep an eye on it. If it looks like its melting, chances are its to late to save/recover. How high is your light from the water and what is your tank size and livestock?
I have a 29 gallon and the lights are about 6 inches from the water.

That lighting should be just fine for it. Like Pandora said, It will move around to find the place it likes. If you have any powerheads in the tank, keep a real close eye on it. They have a tendancy to get themselves caught up in the power heads and its not pretty!
It looks to have great color. so its looking good. Keep us posted on how its doing.
Alright, I will just keep an eye on it, thanks!

That should be plenty of light. Just let it be and im willing to bet its just trying to get comfy. When i had my 55, i had a long tentacled purple nem stay in one spot for 6+ months. Then, it was like it wanted a change in scenery and made his way across to the other side of the tank. Stayed for a week and called home the middle of the tank. They just move about sometimes.

nems dont move unless conditions are right. They expend a lot of energy to more and reattach. My oldest nem (7 years) has been in the same spot since my upgrade for 4 years, my other 3 nems have been in same place for 3 years. They need pristine stable water conditions, proper random flow and high lighting. Tentacles normally do not fall off. That nems looks a little bleached to me, and yes you are getting different opinions, I am only going by my own experience, your mileage may very :)

jen,

are u feeding it? if so, what?

agreed, nems dont move unless they are trying to find better lighting or food.

what r u water parameters? (pH, temp, salinity, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, Mg, Ca,Alk)

jen,

are u feeding it? if so, what?

agreed, nems dont move unless they are trying to find better lighting or food.

what r u water parameters? (pH, temp, salinity, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, Mg, Ca,Alk)

Yes I've been feeding a small silver side about once a week. Do you think it needs more than that? Its also hosted by a clown that seems to be feeding it as well. My water parameters are good. Normal Mg, Ca, Alk, pH is about 8.2, salinity is 1.025, no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I've been doing weekly water changes. It seems to be fighting to stay in really high flow areas- maybe its looking for food?

It doesn't really look "sick" it just doesn't seem very happy over the last two weeks or so. I'm thinking that I'll give it a few more days than probably find it a new home. Maybe my tank just isn't ready for an anemone!

Last edited:
So I think I need to find the anemone and its clown a new home! It doesn't look any worse or anything but I think it would be happier in a bigger tank.
Am I able to post on the classifieds here or do I have to be a member for a longer period of time?

You should be able to post in the classifieds. The link is located in the tabs at the top of the page. If not, PM me.

Last edited:
Back