Does this Liverock look ok?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

porksoda

Nano-Reefer
I am not very sure on what to look for in live rock.
I went to a LFS and they had a horrible looking selection of LR. Very huge and heavy pieces. So I am going to have to look toward the internet for my LR.
Well i was browsing and came across this live rock. The pictures look really good.
I called today and the sale goes through 1-12-10.
The guy said if you want smaller portions of rock you just have to call and you can tell him what you are looking for.
The thing that worries me is that the guy said the rock is un-cured.

http://www.intmarinefish.com/liverock.html

The guy is a really nice guy. He answered all my question I had for him.

If I were to buy some for my 10 gallon could I put it in the tank to cure it since I do not have any live stock yet?

Thanks alot guys!

Well it sure looks like a pretty sweet deal. You can actually cure the rock in your tank, but I'd forgo adding sand until the process is complete. Just keep doing water changes until the ammonia and nitrites read zero and skim, skim, SKIM! :)

As a side note... Does that close-up of the yellow tang in the "Contact Us" banner look like it's dead? It just looks a little stiff and has a red lip...

Well it sure looks like a pretty sweet deal. You can actually cure the rock in your tank, but I'd forgo adding sand until the process is complete. Just keep doing water changes until the ammonia and nitrites read zero and skim, skim, SKIM! :)

As a side note... Does that close-up of the yellow tang in the "Contact Us" banner look like it's dead? It just looks a little stiff and has a red lip...

Cool man I may consider ordering some rock for my nano.
I have not bought any substrate for my tank yet.

It does looks pretty stiff lol.

Just Be Very Defenitive in what you do and do NOT want when you place the order do everthing possable so that you get no surprises.

Saltwater City, down in Bellevue, also has some nano live rock, but I think it's closer to $4 a pound. It may be worth a look for some nice additions. Like what Plack says, you just want to make sure that you aren't getting pieces larger than your aquarium. :)

I got my live rock from this guy back in 2005 or so. It was great and I got a lot more than I was expecting. It was full of life, but after shipping caused a very large ammonia and then nitrate spike. Since then it has worked great! I had to break down my tank in 2008 and put the rock in storage until this last summer. I set up the tank again and it running just fine. Just make sure he knows what size rocks you are looking for, and if they are too big you can always make smaller rocks...

I read the link, sounds very different from my experience. I searched here is a link that was very similar to my experience:
http://bomani.com/The_Digital_Reef/Int_Marine_Fish.html
The rock I got looked similar to the pictures on the site, lots of life. I scrubbed it off and had a leather and hard coral make it through the cycle. I bought 100 lbs for like $225 including shipping, obviously a few years ago. But the boxes and packaging was exactly the same. The amount of life was the same too. I hope that helps.

If you're going to get rock for a Nano, I'd recommend just getting in local. Even though it might cost more per pound, you're picking out your rocks, and you don't have to worry about curing it.

Back