does this skimmer make my butt look fat?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Im not certain that the recirculating mods are all thatthey are cracked up to be. I have an octopus200(less than $200) that skims just like the 150 pictured in this thread. It will keep up with my 3' $800 dual recirculator needlewheel.

It kills any of my beckets (PM2, 3' GEO, MRC3 with dual beckets), and keeps up with my Large ETSS.

I have use the octopus 100 and had a totally different opinion. Didnt skim well at all.

I sure hope for your sake that you're not a shill for the manufacturer and "salting" your skimmer, because I just bought one based on this expert testimonial plus SkWhisperer's opin too, LOLOLOL

Thanks guys, Looks like a great unit for the money.

Mike

the biggest thing I am excited about is the fact that they are made quality. the first time I looked at them I thought they would be another cheap made in China product. they are cast tubing which is just like the ER's. skimmers aren't that complicated. bubbles and bigger tube to allow more time to attach. these have big volume and decent pumps.

you also have a huge bioload with all of those tangs in there.

o.k. i just ordered the exact skimmer for my 40g im setting up, i got the octopus 150 from aquacave on ebay...$158 shipped to my door. i cant wait until it shows up!!!

p.s. da colts, you should make that 'skimmate on finger" pic your av lol

here's a few pics not even one hour after i fired it up!!!!!
this thing is freakin sweet!!!
in the last pic you can see that even when in operation,
no bubbles are exiting the skimmer at the bottom...very nice
and btw, that is fresh made salt water it's skimming.... just amazing!!

Attachments

• dfdfhd.jpg
    dfdfhd.jpg
    45.8 KB
  • hgfghfg.jpg
    hgfghfg.jpg
    24.5 KB
Last edited:
here's a few pics not even one hour after i fired it up!!!!!and btw, that is fresh made salt water it's skimming.... just amazing!!

Fresh salt? OK, Must be established tank though, or what the heck is it removing?

I absolutely love the Octopus too. Thanks to DaColts and Bradreef and everyone else for the referral.

What is a recirculating skimmer?

it's a skimmer that has the main pump inlet and outlet attached to the main body, with a seperate small feed pump to feed processing water to the skimmer.
people like these because you can adjust the amount of water your skimmer processes, unlike a regular needle wheel skimmer, and you can run them in a sump or outside of the sump.
here's a pic of the regular needle wheel skimmer, and the same skimmer as a recirculating

Attachments

• 00000150-20051220142250-65338377.jpg
    00000150-20051220142250-65338377.jpg
    42.9 KB
Cool. Where did you guys get these? Do they work well with ozone?

Most common places to get these are aqua cave and marine solutions. Aquarium Extreme is now carrying them also which seems to be a better option. Sorry can't help on the ozone question.

Brian

should work with ozone if I remember right.

Mark glad to see you have one. the construction is good for such a cheap skimmer huh. That has always been the argument to the deltec guys is that you can buy this skimmer and buy a pump they use and end up with a better product at less money.

Mine took a week to really get going because the recirc are harder to dial in. now the skimmate looks like dirty oil. I will post a pic.

should work with ozone if I remember right.

Mark glad to see you have one. the construction is good for such a cheap skimmer huh. That has always been the argument to the deltec guys is that you can buy this skimmer and buy a pump they use and end up with a better product at less money.

Mine took a week to really get going because the recirc are harder to dial in. now the skimmate looks like dirty oil. I will post a pic.

Thats why they wont sell you the pump. You can get close to the deltec by using the H&S but they wont stand behind the pump unless you can prove it was on one of their skimmers.

Don

Thats why they wont sell you the pump. You can get close to the deltec by using the H&S but they wont stand behind the pump unless you can prove it was on one of their skimmers.
Don

but at least you can BUY the h&s nw eheim if you wanted one, but at $300 it's a hard nut to swallow. im really hoping the er nw pump is a little less money, but the rumor on the street is they wont sell you one seperately unless you own a euroreef skimmer under warranty. at least at first...i remember when you couldnt get the sedra nw's from anywhere but euroreef/h2o tropicals, long ago, and far away..

but at least you can BUY the h&s nw eheim if you wanted one, but at $300 it's a hard nut to swallow. im really hoping the er nw pump is a little less money, but the rumor on the street is they wont sell you one seperately unless you own a euroreef skimmer under warranty. at least at first...i remember when you couldnt get the sedra nw's from anywhere but euroreef/h2o tropicals, long ago, and far away..

Like I said they wont stand behind it unless you can prove you used it on a H&S skimmer. I just took $300 to the dump two weeks ago. Pump ran 2 days on my diy and died. H&S says sorry wrong application even though the skimmer was a H&S clone.

Don

Back