doing water change with canister filter how u do it

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

supamarine

when i do water changes..so if u use the canister filter do i put it directly to the tank???and how do u mix the salt???? thanx ^^

Supamarine
You better give us a little more info on what you are trying to do here. Cleaning the canister filter is a different step than doing water changes.

For a water change, mix your salt water in a separate plastic barrel according to the manufacturer's directions. Test it for specific gravity and other parameters, bring it up to temperature. Then drain out the change quanity and add the new water.

supamarine - I'm not familiar with using a canister filter to do a water change. I still think the new water should be mixed with salt and circulated, at least 24 hours prior to being introduced to the tank. So, the new water would be in a separate container and get pumped into the tank after the old water has been pumped out. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...hopefully, someone else can give you better insight with the canister filter.

Supamarine

What canister filter do you have? Is it the Rena Filstar? If so I can walk you through how to clean it. I will say though cleaning/changing your filter has nothing to do with a water change. You won't use your canister filter at all for your water change.

As stated by others, it is best to mix your water and let it circulate for at least 24 hours before putting it in your tank. A great investment is a 35 gal Rubbermaid Brute Trash can from your local Lowes/home depot. Just be sure to get a food grade one.

As for how much salt to mix it depends on the salt as I have learned myself. Typically you have to adjust it even if you follow the directions. So be sure to test the levels several times before putting it in your tank and make sure all the salt has dissolved or your readings won't be correct. Are you using Tap or RO Water?

Give us some more information on your set up and I am sure we can get you through this. I am still in the learning stage myself but will help you were I can. So give us a run down of exactly what you have.

HTP...
Take it easy and welcome to the best site on the web,
Deb

Back