Dolphin heating up water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

I have my 115 gallon cube set up now and the only thing running is my 3000 gph dolphin pump and the water I put in the tank came from the garage so probably about 50 degrees but with the water in the tank running with the dolphin pump over night the water temp is now 85 degrees is this normal for this pump to do this??

Matt

My sequence SW4200 series (similar to the dart) but 4,200gph & does not put any noticeable heat into the tank but it is a small pump, large PVC & no real pressure. Now the SQ Marlin produces only a mear 1400gph but higher pressure & the pump motor is about three times larger & is pressure rated. I get about the same results with it as you do. I have no fans, no cooling & almost closed sump, no lights. Once I get lights I'll then figure how much cooling I'll need (probably a lot for a 125)!

I will definatly be running my chiller on this system...
I just hooked my cyclone 1/4hp drop in chiller up and within 5 minutes the temp droped .5 of a degree!!!

Matt

I would say that is not normal for the pump. Have you checked the heaters. (if any)

I would say there is definately a problem! I have a Dolphin Amp Master ES3500 which is pumping around 3000gph. It has been running on a 65 gallon for over 3 months and I haven't had any heating issues. My tank temp stays around 78-79°.

this pump is running on a 115 gallon cube with no heaters yet, it was just water with the one pump running that is it..

I wonder why the pump would do this?
I did get the pump usded maybe something is wrong with it?
what could cause a pump to do this?

Matt

I am not sure Matt?!:shock: I am running my pump with 1½ PVC and 4-5 feet of head it is running at full throttle.

Are you running it as a CL or return with head pressure? Is it running wide open or throttled back?

What is the temp. of your house? It could have taken on the ambient temp. I ran an ampmaster for 3 years on a 210 and no heat issues.
Matt

Here is a link to the thread I have of the closed loop, you can see for your self how I have it plumbed..

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20650

BTW I know this is caused by the pump 100 % positive, my house is 70 degrees and as I said the tank was filled with 50 degree water out of my garage and then I turned on the pump over night (by itself ) meaning the only thing running on the whole tank and woke up to 84 degree water..

I just unplugged my chiller and took it out to the garage to do some maintnence on it (cleaning) and with in the 30 minutes with it off the water temp came back up 2 degrees..

Just a thought but maybe the seals are worn out in the poump causeing friction that is heating up the water???
I looked at the dolphin pums on marine depot and it said on there they dont transfer virtually any heat to the water..

I am at a loss of words here on this one but I sure need to figure this out..

Matt

Yep seems like if your house is at 70 It shouldn't be much higher than that & it should take a while to get that high. Centrifugal pumps usually are easy to take apart & repair. I took apart my new sequence pump & replaced the Impeller, it was easy. The seals will take a little more work & you will need to check the bearing also but you should find replacements easily.

The pump motor it self would have to be hot to the touch to put that much heat into the water. Make sure the vents are not plugged.

Don

Back