Dons overflowing tank build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wanna bet? Congrats on your progress.

Thanks. Well I just figured out what an idiot I can be sometimes. I started building the jigs to get the sump built. All my planning and trying to come up with a way to make this work has been a complete waste of time. I designed everything to fit a 18" depth. Its not 18 its 15" which takes me back to the drawing board since there is no way for the sump design to fit.

If any one has a sump design that will flow 3K + gph with no bubbles I'd love to see it.

Don

I figured out all the problems with my sump designs. The problem is I have a design. I'm just going to go start chopping acrylic and we'll see what come out of it.

Don

I figured out all the problems with my sump designs. The problem is I have a design. I'm just going to go start chopping acrylic and we'll see what come out of it.

Don

Humm not always a good idea, that is how I ended up with the stand I have now!:badgrin:

Thanks. Well I just figured out what an idiot I can be sometimes. I started building the jigs to get the sump built. All my planning and trying to come up with a way to make this work has been a complete waste of time. I designed everything to fit a 18" depth. Its not 18 its 15" which takes me back to the drawing board since there is no way for the sump design to fit.

If any one has a sump design that will flow 3K + gph with no bubbles I'd love to see it.

Don

Probably not what you want but this sump handled that kind of flow, with no bubbles :)

Humm not always a good idea, that is how I ended up with the stand I have now!:badgrin:

Heck thats how I build every thing. I usually have a general idea in my head and just go at it. If I try to make a plan it gets over complicated and I mismeasure and have excess brain flatulation.

Don

A little more on the sump I still have to finish cutting the holes in the top. You can see how tight a fit it will be in the cabinet. I need to finish the fuge cover. It will be a piece of acrylic with a big oring. I dont want any salt creep. The intakes will go through uniseals so again no salt creep.
The back section against the cabinet back wall is the fuge 6" wide 48" long and 14" tall. The left section is the skimmer section and the front right is the return pump section. I will probably use a sequence dart. If it were to ever leak the section will have a drain going to waste. The sump itself will have a overflowstand pipe so it cant overflow if something goes haywire. The overlow will also make it easy to do water changes without a mess. I'll simple have to overfill the tank to do a water change and everything extra just goes down the drain.

You sure move fast on that acrylic work:D
Looks nice, I like the refuge design, I think it is the best yet, I don't like trying to make a fuge/sump where flow relies on the fuge to get across, yours is basically isolated, that is cool & should work out better.

You sure move fast on that acrylic work:D
Looks nice, I like the refuge design, I think it is the best yet, I don't like trying to make a fuge/sump where flow relies on the fuge to get across, yours is basically isolated, that is cool & should work out better.

It should work ok. I cant wait to start on the tank itself, its probably the easiest part of the entire project. I do need to study up on refugium lighting and figure out what will work best for the space.

Don

Everything looks great Don. My sump/fuge is a tight fit also. Thats why i built the side cabinets. You have inspired me to build something cool, so i have decided on a nano out of glass. Watch for the thread. I think you will like this one.

I would use a single T5 & reflector shield for it 48".

Heat of course is a real issue. Are they hot? The real focus is cooling and oxygen. I could make a matching half circle fixture for a single tube.

I may put a cover over the pump section of the sump with a dc fan blowing out. I'm hoping not to have to listen to any pump noise.

Don

I decided to opt out of using the automation system. The tank is just going to be to basic. I drew up a diagram of the tanks control that I'm going to just stuff in a 10 x 10 x 3 acrylic box and stuff under the stand. Should be very clean with no wire spagetti mess.
This gives me pretty good control with a full optical ato and low voltage back up system.

Ahh the timer is the only brains it will need:D
cool, relay logic has been around for years, very reliable with the solid state unit you got.

Back