Don't Know Squat

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lol Dude, I had to give up internet access at home for my mental health. I love the forums but too much of this stuff will drive you nuts.

Ok...I suppose we can qualify that as a "for sure" about reefkeeping as well...:lol:

MikeS

try a drink of some skimmate

i can assure u one good wiff of a nice blackish green skimmate and you'll deffinately be glad its in the sink or toilette and not your tank

Herefishyfishy said:
I personally think that corals do best in a tank that is maintained with the cleanest water by whatever means is personally preferred or possible for the hobbyist.
This really depends upon the coral. A friend ended up losing a blastomussa merleti frag I gave him, probably because he maintained an "acropora-clean" tank. The parent colony (as well as a frag from the colony) is growing quite well in my high-nutrient tank. My alveopora also does well in the high-nutrient environment.

One of the reasons we have so much contradictory information is that natural environments are so varied, and we are often not specific enough about specific corals and specific environments. As was already pointed out, the term SPS is way too general when referring to lighting requirements. Similar "requirements" with respect to water quality, flow, etc. must also be species-specific in order to really make sense.

I watched a show on discovery (or like) last night about the barrier reef(s).

They did make an analogy of the water near the reef was much like a desert. Very barron and devoid of nutirents.

I watched a show on discovery (or like) last night about the barrier reef(s).

They did make an analogy of the water near the reef was much like a desert. Very barron and devoid of nutirents.

Is it because it's naturally devoid of nutrients or is it because the inhabitants take in and use these nutrients quickly? I know that you could come up with a mental excercise or logic problem, but I'm beginning to understand that everything has a role in nature. We tend to complicate things when we cannot just "leave them be."

I agree to the fact finding. I have read books like the most of you. No one knows how much light will work. They know corals need light. Some tanks have no skimmers and about one watt to a gallon and have beautifull specimans. Eveyrone (sales Peaple) will tell you that more is better. Car size, speed of a motorcyle, shoes,,,,, so on....

I have not found a book that defines water( traces, exact #s), lighting.. could be a regular bulb??, skimmers ( maybe that scum help organisims flurish to feed others??), calcium( do you use high grade or just pickling lime), antinics or whites strengh for growth......list goes on and on.

All say it depends on your tank and set-up. Well there must be good things and bad.

I am new to this.. Maybe 5 years, but i can see when someone just doesnt know..

Greg
,, PS if someone has some real definitions of whats what. Send them my way please before i Pay for all these great books with pictures that all say it depends...

Is it because it's naturally devoid of nutrients or is it because the inhabitants take in and use these nutrients quickly?

Because they use them quickly, I would assume. The rest of the ocean is full of nutrients so, if the reef didn't exist, diffusion would bring the nutrients to where the reef was. Right?

I'm beginning to understand that everything has a role in nature. We tend to complicate things when we cannot just "leave them be."

Are you saying Sr. Newton, Mr. Galilei, and Mr. Darwin were just wasting their time? That there is no merit to understanding? (I hope not :eek: )

or (because obviously we can't "leave them be") are you saying that we should attempt to understand, rather than, make up over-complicated bogus explanations?

I'm a strong believer in science and the scientific method. Someone, here at work, has a sign at their desk that says, "in god we trust, all others bring data." :lol: I couldn't agree more. ;)

I was about to post that "In God we trust" quote:) . I come from a scientific background and I agree that we tend to overcomplicate and overanalyze things but in the reefkeeping hobby it is hard to know when we have come to a solid answer for something. I think the more time we spend learning and studying the better off our tanks will be. Of course we need to remember common sense so we don't kill our pets:rolleyes: .

I don't have any sources on hand but we know that natural seawater is approx 35ppt salt and generally around 80 degrees. We also know that there are so many different types of corals that require different environments that, generally speaking, similar types should be kept together.

I like this whole idea of finding facts or stating what we already know, it gives us a chance to evaluate where we are at and then we can look at what to do next.

Tim

Okay I will stick my toe in and give this game a try.

With a salinity of 35ppm , 4 inches of coral sand, a source of light,live rock, water flow and a temperature of 70-80 degrees coraline alge will grow.

This seems to be a constant no matter what I do or have seen done to a tank. Its gotta be in some study out there somewhere. Course if you add calcium and do water changes it grows alot faster.

here's a good one.

Fact: corals adapt to their environment. the same species of coral can be found thriving in a wide variety of conditions (both across space and time). different individuals of the same species are adapted to different conditions as a result of the interaction between their ontogenetic & phylogenetic characteristics and their current environment. thus, coral health is not entirely dependent on those conditions themselves (because they are so different) but the degree to which the indiviual corals can/have adapted to those conditions.

Fact: energy spent on optimizing to a new environment is energy not spent on structural growth.

inference: minimizing the number of changes in aquarium conditions (whatever they may be) increases the amount of energy available for coral growth.

(I like this thought exercise. I could have said "stability is key" because that has been my experience, and I have heard others say so. that does not make it fact. by stating only facts, I can get to the same conclusion without relying on experience or faith. just because the hobby is not built on "science" does not mean it has no place in it).

Last edited:
Back