Dosing calcium and alkalinity

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

My last tests I ran a couple days ago are
385cal 6.4dKh 1500mag ph8.4
ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and phos all 0

I get the cal up to 410 and alk up to 7 but have a hard time getting and keeping alk any higer. I've been afraid to dose much more afraid I was going to dose too much, but maybe I will up the dose just a little and work it up to just over 8 and try to hold it there.

I did a water change today and will check params again tomorrow.

Yes... Infact topoff is exactly how you are suppose to dose kalkwasser.
I had my ATO in the sump fed from a DIY kalkwasser reactor which in turn was getting fed from my RO/DI reservoir tank.

Well, sure you did. I don’t have that sophisticated of a system. I am going to have to pick your brain a little more to set something up.

By the way 7dKH is about 2.5 meq/l in Alk. at 410ppm Ca. you're fine for Alk.
it is exactly where it should be at.

If you haven't seen it, try this tool as a guideline on how to dose and how much.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Yep, been there a number of times, not only to figure dosing for alk with randys recipe, but to check out the other items listed to see what would be better to use.
Looks like the kalk reactor needs a co2 source? I don't know if that is goig to be feasible.

Well, sure you did. I don’t have that sophisticated of a system. I am going to have to pick your brain a little more to set something up.

:lol: far from that actually.

All I did was setup a 10 gallon tank as my RO/DI reservoir then used a Aqualifter pump (controlled by the ATO float switch) to suck the water from the reservoir and push it into the Kalk reactor (which is basically just a 1 gallon container of kalk and water with a small pump on timer to mix up the mixture one in a while) as the water in the sump goes below the ATO's float switch, the Aqualifter is switched on and pumps fresh RO/DI into the kalk "reactor" and freshly mixed kalk-water comes out and into the sump until the water level comes up to the float switch which in turn switches the Aqualifter pump off. Simple yet it worked.

Don't worry it sounds a lot more complicated and "sophisticated" than it really is. :)

Yep, been there a number of times, not only to figure dosing for alk with randys recipe, but to check out the other items listed to see what would be better to use.
Looks like the kalk reactor needs a co2 source? I don't know if that is goig to be feasible.

Actually no.

Kalk as in kalkwasser reactor is just a container of kalkwasser powder used for mixing with RO/DI water. That's all it is really.

Calcium reactor on the other hand does require a CO2 source to lower the pH in order for calcium and alk to leach out from the reactor media (calcium based substrate like coral skeleton and the likes...). Basically as pH lowers it turns the water (which fed from your tank) acidic which then dissolves the coral bones (media) to release calcium and alk. The resulting water (with elevated level of calcium and alk) is then released back into the tank. Ca. reactor is used in conjunction with pH probe and controllers also so as Alk raises pH in your tank to a predetermined level it shuts down the reactorby cutting off the CO2 supply.

Hope that made sense.

:lol: far from that actually.

All I did was setup a 10 gallon tank as my RO/DI reservoir then used a Aqualifter pump (controlled by the ATO float switch) to suck the water from the reservoir and push it into the Kalk reactor (which is basically just a 1 gallon container of kalk and water with a small pump on timer to mix up the mixture one in a while) as the water in the sump goes below the ATO's float switch, the Aqualifter is switched on and pumps fresh RO/DI into the kalk "reactor" and freshly mixed kalk-water comes out and into the sump until the water level comes up to the float switch which in turn switches the Aqualifter pump off. Simple yet it worked.

Don't worry it sounds a lot more complicated and "sophisticated" than it really is. :)

Okay, that doesnt sound to difficult, I understand the aqualifter system. I have an aqualifter pump too. But not sure about the kalk-water container and how it is connected.

Okay, that doesnt sound to difficult, I understand the aqualifter system. I have an aqualifter pump too. But not sure about the kalk-water container and how it is connected.

Think sealed container... As water goes in (pushed in from the Aqualifter) it MUST exit somewhere :)

What I did was used a container with an air tight lid.

Drilled 2 small holes (one for water to go in and one for water to go out) then connect some airline tubing to these. One line goes to the Aqualifter the other line goes into the sump

I also attached a small powerhead/pump onto the container (like a recirculating skimmer) to mix up the kalk pwder and water inside.

Think sealed container... As water goes in (pushed in from the Aqualifter) it MUST exit somewhere :)

What I did was used a container with an air tight lid.

Drilled 2 small holes (one for water to go in and one for water to go out) then connect some airline tubing to these. One line goes to the Aqualifter the other line goes into the sump.
Okay I understand this part.

A little more elaboration on this would be helpful though. "attached a small powerhead/pump onto the container (like a recirculating skimmer) to mix up the kalk pwder and water inside"

Based on the list of corals in your tank, I am assuming that at this time, you don't really have a very heavy demand on ALK and CA.

I would suggest starting out with a manual regiments of ALK and CA supplements first and determine if that is enough to sustain your ALK and CA levels. If not then, invest in a calcium or kalk reactor.

:eek:
260.00 +...thats nuts!

Okay, I can put one of those together. I already have the pump. Just need the clear cylinder. Anyone have any hints as to where to find it, let me know. I will check HD.

You don't need clear cylinders. Sure they look prettier but do you really care to see what is going on inside the mixing chamber?

just use plain PVC pipe, it will save you a fortune.

Here is a picture of my new doser set up for part a and b. Profilux doser and the Warner Marine Calxmax product. My tank is only about 70 gallons so I don't have a huge demand for calcium/alk...yet. :)
I just set it up (after having it for a long time), so I will know more in a month or two.
Good luck with your quest for the perfect system.

Back