Dosing peroxide? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
Hey Boomer,
I hope you had a awesome Birthday! I wanted to ask you about peroxide in our reef tanks. I glanced over a few articles. What are the benefits of dosing peroxide? I would think it would raise orp? I would assume it would have a effect on ph?

As always thanks for your help in guiding us in the right direction in advance!
Ed :)

Hey Ed, could you share those articles?
I've treated coral with peroxide, but never thought about dosing it.

It is fine to use Ed if you follow the instructions I have seen. You need to make sure you DO NOT overdose.

2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]2[/SUB]( hydrogen peroxide added to water) ---> O[SUB]2[/SUB] + 2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O

So, what does that tell you ? The O[SUB]2[/SUB] could get very high if you overdose and killing things like burning the gill lamella on fish.

It is now being used for 4 things

1. High dosages to kill off parasites in tanks with no animals rather than using bleach, as hydrogen peroxide is much better for Amlyoodinium than bleach.

2. To control Cyano

3. For treating corals as mentioned

4. Power outages and the tank is low in O[SUB]2[/SUB] (been around for decades for this or bait buckets when fishing on a hot day and you are to lazy to change their water :oops:)

I would really prefer that all use or get a cheap O[SUB]2[/SUB] test kit to be on the safe side, par the bait minnow bucket.

It will have not effect on pH and yes it will raise the ORP. In the olden day we had what I'm gong to call in tank H[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]2[/SUB] reactors. It was a bottle of 35 % that was turned upside down and dripped into a ceramic reactor pot and raise the O[SUB]2 [/SUB]safely. Aquarium Products use to make them in the day. They are still around now:

Biotechnik GmbH

They come in different sizes

Aquarium Oxygenator - the Oxydator

s-ouml-chting-oxydator-oxydator-d-41-2182121.jpg

OK, so its simple enough. Its cheap. and its benifitial. Begs the question why isn't it a standard of practice?

It is what we used to call the "Poor mans Ozone" I guess one of the main reasons it never really became popular is that running ozone gave you the same effect and was much easier to setup and control then it. Another reason is that when dosing it (as with everything you dose) you need to monitor it, so in the case of hydrogen peroxide you will need to monitor both ORP and Oxygen.

Hey Brah (nice face by the way)
hydrogen peroxide inhibits the Photosynthetic Electron transport in cyanobacteria, basically the algae (cyano) cannot feed its self and dies almost immediately. BUT keep this in mind, their are also a bunch of other things that can get screwed by dosing to much, such as shrimp, snails and an abundance of other lower life forms that dont have the protection of Catalase in their cells in a large enough quantity, so go real slow, monitor oxygen levels and ORP and Ph when dosing it and also keep and eye on your shrimp, snails and similar.

Mike

I have used a red sea o2 test kit and found that it was basically a waste of money becuase it just wasn't acurate enough to be useful. What kind of o2 monitoring are we talking about? most electronic ones i've seen are not reasonable.....I guess what I am asking also is will you get that much of a swing in o2 levels that a $30 test kit is all you need...and how often would you need to test?

Yea test kits are not the best when trying to keep your eye on o2 levels, I guess you could just monitor it via ORP but you would need to be vigilant. I would test pretty much after every time dosed it so that I could tell what the amount I was dosing had in effecting the tank. Or just go to an ozone system.

Mike

kpiot

Get a LaMotte O[SUB]2[/SUB] kit. Measure O[SUB]2[/SUB] to 0.2 ppm.

Water Testing Kit, Oxygen, 0 to 10 PPM - Water Quality Testing Kits - Water Quality Testing - 4EVY6 : Grainger Industrial Supply

If you have lots of money then a HACH digital titrator OX-DT to 0.02 ppm @ $220.00

Um, thanks I guess? didnt' have a need for one. You must have misundestood.

You stayin dry up there? I'm from International Falls originaly and when I heard you have polar bears floating around from the flood it really struck home. Been to the duluth Zoo a few times in my life.

How did I mis-understand ??

I have used a red sea o2 test kit and found that it was basically a waste of money because it just wasn't accurate enough to be useful. What kind of o2 monitoring are we talking about? most electronic ones i've seen are not reasonable.....I guess what I am asking also is will you get that much of a swing in o2 levels that a $30 test kit is all you need...and how often would you need to test?

A LaMotte is all one really needs to monitor O[SUB]2[/SUB]. H[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]2[/SUB] can raise O [SUB]2[/SUB]very quickly. So, it is smart to have one to be sure.

The Polar Bear was darted in a neighborhood yard. 10.5 in of rain ( new record by over 4 in.), estimated to fix just city damage, streets, bridges, etc, + 100 million. Total may be near 200 million, I.e., houses, buildings, business, private property, etc.. It will take about a year to get back to normal.

Boomer, you misunderstood cuz it wasn't me in the market for or otherwise wanting to test o2. just stating that if one was wanting to dose peroxide and needed to monitor o2 levels that I was not a fan of that particular test. you told "me" to go get the better brand of test kit.

Realy sorry to hear how hard duluth was hit! amazing that polar bear so close to you...small world huh...at least when it comes to being in proximity of a polar bear lol.

Ive never really heard of your area flooding. You always hear about the other end of the state with the ....is "red" river? from Winnepeg manitoba down between north dakota and MN.

NOW, I have seen some HELLA snow banks in Duluth!!! Internatiional falls gets colder but you get lake Superior and all that lake-affect snow.

I escaped the area 20 years ago. you do know you are crazy for living there....right? lol.

Misunderstanding is not my fault it is your wording :kiss:

I have used a red sea o2 test kit and found that it was basically a waste of money because it just wasn't accurate enough to be useful.

You did not like this test kit, found it useless and I was advising you on a better one. If you had the Lamotte or HACH you never would have made that statement. I can not tell by what you say if you are looking for another or not.Nope not crazy at all for living here. I have been here for 64 years and do not want to move. Sanjay was just at my house for a couple of days and loves it here and can hardy want to come back. I will add that Duluth is the second coldest city in the union and Sanjay does not like that at all. International Falls is #1 @ 36 F and Duluth @ 38 F mean annual temp's.

Misunderstanding is not my fault it is your wording :kiss:

I have used a red sea o2 test kit and found that it was basically a waste of money because it just wasn't accurate enough to be useful.

You did not like this test kit, found it useless and I was advising you on a better one. If you had the Lamotte or HACH you never would have made that statement. I can not tell by what you say if you are looking for another or not.Nope not crazy at all for living here. I have been here for 64 years and do not want to move. Sanjay was just at my house for a couple of days and loves it here and can hardy want to come back. I will add that Duluth is the second coldest city in the union and Sanjay does not like that at all. International Falls is #1 @ 36 F and Duluth @ 38 F mean annual temp's.

I meant no offense Boomer. I was speaking to your ability to endure extreme climates from heavy snow and extreme colds, to hot humid....and apparently floods too.

Back