dosing vodka

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

toolz2

I've been fighting nitrates lately and been reading up how to control it. So question is does anyone use denigration coils, algae scrubbers and lastly dosing vodka. From what I read nitrate coils are bad in long term use. So I'm in tossup between vodka and algae scrubbing. My display is 390 gallons and another 80-100 in my sump.

I dont know anyone at the moment that has done it. I know there are some threads here about it though. I'll see if I can find something.

you asked for it and here is my opinion..

unless you are an advanced hobbyist, DO NOT attempt vodka dosing..unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing and know the chemistry behind it, otherwise you can kill everything in your tank.

I believe an algae scrubber is what you want, floyd (tat2z_21 ) has successfully done this..

also, you might want to read up on this thread:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/thread...minate-green-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae

PS--What level is your Nitrates at? and why is it soooo high or at least why do you think you need to control it?

my .02

I have vodka dosed in the past and am considering doing it again. There are the correct ways of going about it though, and they need to be followed.

Test your nitrates! Then test again. Test a third time, then you will have a basis for your starting point.

Actually here is what I followed and it worked well.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Well nitrates have been at like 80 for last month or so not sure they are so high. Never have seen ammonia or nitrites. But know I have got to get them under Control. And that reefkeeping link is what I found also. Thank you both for input

toolz,

how frequently do you feed?
how much do you feed?
what do you feed?

do you have a baseline number for nitrates? meaning how do we know 80 is high? has it been lower?

add anything new to the tank, like live rock not cured??

these are the questions that are running thru my head...hope this helps.

Feed nori to the tangs 1-2 times a day. And then the rest about 1in square 1/4 inch thick piece of home made food Consisting of scallops, shrimp, brine shrimp, my sister shrimp, krill. All chopped into 1/8 to 1/16th inch pieces. I thaw in ro water then strain and soak in tank water and add .10ml of reef plus vitamin, amino acids. Of Witch is gone in like 10 seconds. Prior to upgrading the tank to 390g i was fighting nitrates i would feed nori and large pinch of flake food

How often do u change water
How many gallons do you change out

I assume when u made the food it was rinsed in RO water

What is your bio load of fish

Quick count 22 fish about. For the last month I've been changing out 50g once weekly. I've been thawing fish food in ro .you think I should rinse with ro after thawing. I figured thawing in ro would rinse enough.

I would let it thaw naturally and then rinse in RO...but if you rinsed your food while you were making it in RO, I think you shouldnt need to rinse or thaw in RO...but that is me..

so 50g a week, so that is 200g a month...I would think that is ok..

I would think nori might be the culprit..if you cut back on your feed of it for a month, then see what the result is...

I believe another moderator (Maxx) had a similiar issue and nori was the culprit...once he cut back (excuse the pun) his dosage, his problems corrected themselves.

Well nitrates have been at like 80 for last month or so not sure they are so high. Never have seen ammonia or nitrites. But know I have got to get them under Control. And that reefkeeping link is what I found also. Thank you both for input

What do you have for nutrient export at this time..? Do you have any macro or use any biopellets??? Any softies in the DT or sump?? While I only have a 40B, I've been lucky since I always overfeed 3 times per day for 7 fish and still barely have any traceable nitrates. I run tons of macro (chaeto/caulerpa) that grow like crazy and then I either give the extra away or toss them out. Good luck!!

you asked for it and here is my opinion..

unless you are an advanced hobbyist, DO NOT attempt vodka dosing..unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing and know the chemistry behind it, otherwise you can kill everything in your tank.

I believe an algae scrubber is what you want, floyd (tat2z_21 ) has successfully done this..

also, you might want to read up on this thread:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/thread...minate-green-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae

PS--What level is your Nitrates at? and why is it soooo high or at least why do you think you need to control it?

my .02

Well said :first:

NC2WA WOW is all i can say.. nice setup... i just checked out your 375 pics via the link and MAN i sooo wish my wife would let me put that kinda money into a tank... Thanks for the inspiration...

I would let it thaw naturally and then rinse in RO...but if you rinsed your food while you were making it in RO, I think you shouldnt need to rinse or thaw in RO...but that is me..

so 50g a week, so that is 200g a month...I would think that is ok..

I would think nori might be the culprit..if you cut back on your feed of it for a month, then see what the result is...

I believe another moderator (Maxx) had a similiar issue and nori was the culprit...once he cut back (excuse the pun) his dosage, his problems corrected themselves.

tricksterya,

thanks....

so you checked out my webcam?

if so, keep checking back as I have 6 fish in QT (mostly large angels and butterflies). :)

I plan on making a video of the behind the scenes on my equipment and what it takes to run this monster !

:)

i didnt check the webcam due to me being at work and the firewall/proxy wont let me through but the pictures and setup look crazy from the flickr account. plan on checking the webcam tomorrow.

tricks,

you will need to install a java or activex control for the camera...let me know if you have any issues...

the flickr pics are outdated, but the tank theme of mostly angels and butterflies still is same.

got it. my laptop is setup pretty well as well as my smart phone so i am sure one of the two works. i love the whole setup as a whole and the theory, basis, and complexity in it. Just wish i had the know how to do it without spending the 20k i assume you spent..

tricks,

webcam will not work on any smartphone as a java or ActiveX control needs to be installed.
only PC will work..

you are welcome to stop by anytime to see the setup OR wait for the video/movie which I am going to shoot by the end of the week..

Back