Dossing lime water.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

poakley723

I want to dose lime water. From what I read and understand you don't want the lime water to be in contact with air. Mostly CO2. Would I be able to use an IV bag to drip the lime water. What other options would work well?

An IV Drip system would work great. A lot of people just use something as simple as airline tubing, with a knot tied in it, to control the rate of drop. No matter what you use, you'll want to run regular water, or even vinegar/water, through it on a regular basis, to keep the lines from getting plugged up.

I've been using a 2.5g bucket and 1/4'' airline with a plastic air valve to control the drip rate for my 40b for almost 3 years now and has done great for me. It is not air tight and has been fine this way for me. It is also my top off to so it takes care of a few things all in one. I mix up 5g of kalk water at a time using a magnetic stirer for 24hrs and let it settle for a few hrs and I would siphon out the top 3/4 of the mix to get the pure saturated clear water to drip into the 40b. The mix would last me 4-5 days.

Could you take a picture of your little buckett set up. I really would like to set someething up like this.

I am still curious about contact with air. Do i need to have a closed in system or just not have any surface air exchange?

Could you take a picture of your little buckett set up. I really would like to set someething up like this.

I am still curious about contact with air. Do i need to have a closed in system or just not have any surface air exchange?

To be honest with you. I have never had any problems doing it the way i have been and my SPS gets great growth and color. The air contact is minimal as once I siphon out the saturated part into the 2.5g bucket and place the lid on. I don't know how quickly the "Potency" depletes once it contacts air cuz I am no scientist. You can read all the text you like and take it for what they say but this has worked for me for almost 3 years. Every time I test. My water parameters are the same each and everytime be it I test every week or once every 3 month. This is my real life experience not what I have read so it works for ME. I tend to go against the grain of what I read any how and do what works for me not what I read. I will try to get some pics up for you when I get home from work and if I decide not to go fishing :)

I also don't think it's something that you need to worry about, as long as you aren't leaving it in a bucket with no lid, open to the air. If you post this in the Chemistry forum, Boomer will be able to give you a more accurate answer on the air contact question.

DOH, it is in Boomer's forum...lol. Hopefully he'll be online soon and can answer that for you.

I agree and in most sets-ups air contact time is not an issue. Air contact becomes an issue usually when one has no lid or leaves it off. The IV should work great

the the richmond RC fourm someone used vinegar + water + Mrs. Wages for top up water. I can't remember why they said they liked it, but it made some sense. does it work just like "purple up" and stuff like it (i.e. not very well) or does it really work better at getting more Ca in the tank where are critters can use it?

Vinager has a low PH and I used to add 10ml to a 5g mix to lower the PH in the kalk mix but I stopped doing that. Now that I see this thread again. That reminds me that I need to take some pics for Poakley. Lets see if I have time today after work. Sorry :)

Back