Dow Flake Warning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Any word on if the new dow flake is going to be safe? I didn't order a full 50lb bag, just the 16 cups that they package at buckeye so there is no lot number or date.

So boomer :)

Thanks for this info as i was just gonna try using ozone and now I am a little scarred to!!

Do you have any idea where one can order the tetra chemicals from?

I looked them up and I got a feeling you would have to buy a large quantity and pay allot for shipping from them!

:)

Paul

I talked to them. You can buy a bag but you need to get it from a distributor. Give them a call. Their chemist was great to talk to.

man am i glad i use filterd ocean water salt mixs seem to be a good thing im mean alot of people use them but alot of people dont live in a place where the ocean is at an easy acsess i hope this does not cause big problems for every one there or anyone who uses salt mixs why do they make it so high in the first place? if i buy a bag of salt and it says instant ocean i expect it to be the same as the ocean

Any update on this? If there's not really an alternative, I think I'm going to order like 50LBS before all the good stuff is gone.

Is the only downside to having more Bromide the fact that it will turn into "bleach" with ozone use?

I don't think any one knows what the down side is at very high levels. Bromide is a halogen, like chlorine, fluorine and Iodine. I can't find anything YET. Some plants animals use bromide, so that is not an issue it its the high levels we may get.

94 % = 940,000 ppm CaCl2
4.0 % = 40,000 ppm NaCl
.01 % = 100 ppm MgCl2
.10% = 1000 ppm others
98.11% solids +1.89 % H20 or ~20,000 ppm H20

We only need to worry about 2 things. What that "others" is @ 1,000 ppm. In most cases most of the is K, Potassium. However, that is an awful lot of NaCl, Table salt @ 40,000 ppm, which = 15,735 ppm Na + and most CaCl2 we use have not much more than 1,000 ppm Na+ or less. I don't like it. I think they are adding NaCl.

This will help you see what some have in them.

Purity of Calcium Chloride
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/chem.htm

Just so you guys know as of 2007, although you guys may not see it for awhile, DOW has announced that the Bromide in all their CaCl2 will go from its normal ~150 ppm to 8,000 ppm. And Bromide levels in salt mixes now are already at 200-600 ppm Bromide. NSW is 65 ppm.

Is this 8000 ppm within the flake itself or after it's mixed in with water per the DIY recipe?

Just trying to assess the impact of adding 100ml of DIY Ca to my 75g tank. Because in the end, if it only raises Bromide by say .2ppm within the tank itself, the impact would be minimal, would it not?

It is in the flake itself and when the flake dissolves in water the bromide is going to go into solution just like the Ca ++ and chloride are.

Your water is already high in bromide. In one year with no water changes the bromide would increase another 75 ppm. 30 % WC / month would help a lot, as a 30 % WC usually give a flat graph.

Look at table 1 and note the Potassium, which is red flagged, is 3600 ppm in DOW. That is 95 x NSW. Bromide at 8,000 ppm is 123 x NSW and most salts are already at 5 x for bromide. .8 % of that 100 ml is going to be bromide. Bromide is not used much. To bad Randy never tested for Bromide.

Purity of Calcium Chloride
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2004/chem.htm

Back