dowflake suppliers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
Has anyone in the Seattle area found a local supplier for dowflake? Im tired of paying internet suppliers for products I can get on my own.

Thanks. I just recieved an order for kalk from them. I guess they are the ones then.

Is dowflake better than other calcium chloride products, like dryzair? My primary calcium source is kalk but occassionally supplement with dryzair.

Is Dryzair easier to find locally? Steve, I think you mentioned you got it at Home depot not too long ago. is that right?

Don suggested it to me earlier when I was looking for Dow flake and could not find any. Now I see dryzair every where I look, Home Depot, Lowes, Joe's ect.... It does not seem to take much to bump my calc up. It just seems that everyone talks about dow flake.

It seems that dowflake is sold nationwide everywhere except in Seattle. Im all for alternative additives as long as they dont have toxic by products.
I run a kalk and Ca. Rxtr and just need an occasional boost in Ca. due to WCs. IO tends to lack in that dept. Every bucket Ive tested this year has been Ca. 320 and Dkh 10.2

Recently I stumbled on a thread in the PSAS forum regarding the same thing.
Someone there recommended PRESTONE DRIVEWAY HEAT I found it at Wall Mart in a 9.5 Lb jug for under $7. Apparently it can also be found at the local Auto parts store (NAPA). I did some researching and found this to be nearly identical to the renowned (sp.) Dow Flake we all have been searching for.
I looked up the MSDS (Material Saftey Data Sheet) for chemical make up for both brands. When I google Prestone driveway heat I get a link to scottwood industries. Here It actually give me a MSDS with a DOW header.
When I google DowFlake Ice melter. Here I get the link to Dow industries MSDS and when looking at Peladow Ice melter, I end up with the same MSDS sheet. While this is not the 77-80% Dowflake at HD it is very close. The only difference I can see is the addition of stronium chloride and is closer to 90% CaCl.
IMO this is the local product we have all been looking for!! I believe this is the same product as Peladow with a different label. I have seen alot of threads recommending bulk buys (50Lbs)of peladow and have never read a bad review of it. It is more concentrated so be careful when dosing.

If I am way off base and someone has evidence to prove me wrong please speak up. Otherwise, for a third of the price, anyone looking for some cheap two part. You better go get part 1 while its on the shelves.

Last edited:
Recently I stumbled on a thread in the PSAS forum regarding the same thing.
Someone there recommended PRESTONE DRIVEWAY HEAT I found it at Wall Mart in a 9.5 Lb jug for under $7. Apparently it can also be found at the local Auto parts store (NAPA). I did some researching and found this to be nearly identical to the renowned (sp.) Dow Flake we all have been searching for.
I looked up the MSDS (Material Saftey Data Sheet) for chemical make up for both brands. When I google Prestone driveway heat I get a link to scottwood industries. Here It actually give me a MSDS with a DOW header.
When I google DowFlake Ice melter. Here I get the link to Dow industries MSDS and end up with the same MSDS sheet.

IMO THIS IS THE PART 1 WE HAVE ALL BEEN LOOKING FOR!! I believe this is the same product with a different label.

If I am way off base and someone has evidence to prove me wrong please speak up. Otherwise, for a third of the price, anyone looking for some cheap two part. You better go get it while its on the shelves.

Your correct it will work just fine but you have to stock up because they wont have it long. Now ask yourself this. Why does it not meet food grade standards? Does it matter? Might or might not youll never know.:) One advantage to the stuff at tps is that it is food grade.

Don

That's cool Duane! Hey, Boomer is quite into chemistry. I wonder if we could get him to chim in... I'll PM him.

Now ask yourself this. Why does it not meet food grade standards? Does it matter? Might or might not youll never know.:) One advantage to the stuff at tps is that it is food grade.

Don

Fortunately, I dont plan to eat any of my tank inhabitants. :badgrin:
Unfortunately you have a valid point in asking if the food grade stamp is going to make a difference. For daily or bi-weekly dosing I would be very concerned about this. But in my case, I typically need to dose one or the other every other month to bring things back in balance. It appears I am not going to be the only person in the country using this particular product for Part 1 of Randys recipe, and that, I guess is my only big consolation. I also get to experiement with my 100G prop system which only has about 1/16 the amount of corals as my display.

Last edited:
I couldn't locate any Mag Flakes locally so I used Prestone Driveway heat that I found at my local auto parts store. I know Fred Meyer also carries the stuff for like $8. I guess the calcium chloride in the driveway heat is made by the Dow company and is also sold as Peladow, which is a dehydrated version of Mag Flakes and requires less material (2 cups per gallon versus 2.5 of Mag Flakes). Randy mentions it as a replacement for Mag Flakes in his DIY recipe.

I just found this artical written by Randy Farley. Im sure it will put alot of minds at ease including myself.

Back