Down to one fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Penny

I lost 2 fish in the last week, and I only had 3. A yellow Tang I've had for a long time, and a damsel that I've had for 5 years. The only thing different, is I added 2 teensy emerald crabs. I worry about my last fish, a clown. Could the crabs be doing soemthing diabloical? They are very tiny, and hard to find in the tank. They didn't look sick at all.:cry:

if the crabs are hungry enough i believe they'll go after fish, personally though i have not had a problem with emeralds and fish

I can't imagine a tiny emerald taking out a yellow tang, unless the fish was really sick.

What size is the tank? When was the last fish introduced? (as well as the questions mmkeeper has)

It's 55 gallons, only fish (I am getting live rock next week) and I've had it 5 years. The last time I had a new fish was the tang a couple of years ago, then about 3 weeks ago, my daughter brought home the emerald crabs.

The crabs are not very aggressive, they like algae. I have three large ones in my reef and enjoy them. But they could have brought in something with the water. Do you ever test your water? When last and how often or do water changes?

I am going to check it tonight, I have a real hard time getting the ph to 8.5, it's usually around 7.5
Also, I just ordered this book...The Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder, does anyone know if that's a good one??

Last edited:
Good job on desiring to read up, all education is beneficial. This book was written in 1982 and updated in 1992 so is a bit dated. It still promotes under-gravel filtration and trickle filters. The library is full of excellent and current books to read and enjoy.

Keep your eyes open locally for some affordable live rock, it will help. Also, water changes will help keep the PH higher.

7.5 is low and 8.5 is getting into border line high, you should shoot for 8.1 to 8.3 IMO. Don't know about the book but I am sure others will; chine in. Also you want to adjust the ph very slowly.

Actually, about the filters..I have no idea which one to get. I have a trickle filter, I am upgrading the heck out of my tank, so what do you guys suggest? I'm also getting a sump which I don't have now.

The trickle filter can be converted to a sump. I suggest you invest in a protein skimmer and some live rock. Then over time, gradually remove some filter medium.

Most people (including myself) depend on their LR to do the bio filtering for them, with that add a good skimmer and that is really all you need. Which way as far as live stock are you looking to have in your set up? Spend the money that you would have spent for a new filter and put it into lights and power heads ect to move water.

I have NO idea about live rock, that's why I got the book. I am definitly getting a new skimmer and lights! I've been saving up! If I don't need a filter, I wont get one Thanks so much. You guys are very helpful. If I lose my clown fish, I'll be crushed! Seiously, I love that stupid orange little guy!

To best protect your clown, keep it in good water. If you haven't changed any water for a few weeks, change 25% this week. Make sure that the salt is fully dissolved and is the same salinity and temperature as the tank

I will, as soon as I get home tonight. I did a water change about a month ago, only about a quarter. Maybe that's what killed the fish??

Not enough info to tell what killed the fish. Many things besides disease can do so. A sudden rise or prolonged exposure to ammonia, too low of PH, temperature chill, salinity changed too fast poor feeding. One of the reasons for live rock is to keep a steady biological filtration of fish waste and ammonia. Accumulate some test kits and a hydrometer to measure your water. PH, nitrate and ammonia are good starts.

What do you feed your fish?

actually, I'm changing tanks altogether next week, with all the new stuff, so I'll change a quarter tonight, and check the ph. I feed him regular clown fish food. (ok, I say this because it has a clown fish on the front, I don't know what kind it is..sorry!) Oh, Also, I have well water, not city water. Is that better or worse??

Hard to tell about water without testing. Well water often is high in phosphates if in rural area. Some flake food is pretty good but feed your fish more variety. Chopped clams, shrimp, squid, stir fry mix, tiny bits of raw fish. Most seafoods you would eat are great for the fish. They also can use some algae or other greens. The better the variety, the better the health. Also adds some sport. The life fish shops also sell frozen foods such as mysid shrimp.

Back