dried up reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

halmus

RF Premium Member
I've been saving up coral skeletons for a while now and picking up some when I come across them. I've had the idea of putting together a dry reef for a while. I mounted the reef on a piece of walnut and I routed out an area where an acrylic cover can fit down into. I had Oceans by Design build the acrylic cover. I can work with acrylic, but my work is just functional, not attractive.

These first few are without the acrylic cover:

img_0564_zps008f39dd.jpg

img_0563_zps84d0240c.jpg

img_0562_zps808b502b.jpg

These are with the acrylic on:

img_0561_zps66c37aa2.jpg

img_0559_zps3da8b47e.jpg

Just kidding about making me one.
You had mentioned that idea a while back.
Great job! It looks really cool!

Thanks Lorrie and Wes. It actually took a long time to put together. I was using my coral fragging glue and it doesn't set well outside of water. I ended up pouring water over things after applying glue. I went through quite a few tubes hooking all the rock and coral together.

that is very cool. it would also look really cool if you painted the coral other colors. very nice.

Lol kool beans halmus. Is this on display where the 120 is or sat? Or on the mantle above the fireplace???
Really though its nice man.
D

Lol kool beans halmus. Is this on display where the 120 is or sat? Or on the mantle above the fireplace???
Really though its nice man.
D

Thanks D. The 120 is still wet. It's just got rock, water, and fish for right now. Once things setting down, I'm going to drain the tank and find a new home for the fish. Chad's getting the tangs. I'm glad they're going to have a huge tank to swim in. I don't have a spot for the display yet. It's still sitting in the garage. I want to let the rock dry for a good few months since it was sitting in bleach-water for a while. It's still wet inside, I'm sure. If I left the acrylic on it, I imaging it would turn into a rain-forest in there.

Is this a memorial piece, lost companions?

:) I do have a few memorial pieces in there. When I came back from San Diego with coral from Aqua SD for a PSAS event, I also picked up a really nice "fire and ice" echinata. It was the only thing I bought for myself on that trip. It was also the only coral that didn't make the trip. :( Some of the pieces I've just been collecting over the years with a display in mind.

Awesome job natalia

You can call me natalia. My wife calls me Jacob....most of the time, unless she catches me mixing my brights with darks in the laundry machine. Thanks for checking it out.

Wow..loving it..true artistic eye here!!!

Thanks Nata! That means a lot coming from you. I may have to fly you out to Denver to paint some of your murals on the walls of my future fish room when we settle into our new home.

Very nicely done

Thanks Dave.

Back