Drilling a glass tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MvT

What is the proper way to drill a glass tank? i am currently looking to use a 48"x18"x23" and i am interested in doing it myself...or at least try :)

and any suggestions or ideas on getting the best flow would be great...since this is DIY i figure i should at least attempt to be creative if possible.

thanks for your help...

**on a side note i would prefer a 50 to 75 gallon cube rather than a standard 48" so if anyone has one or knows where to find one please let me know.

thanks again!

Ive drilled a few tanks myself. Go slow and keep the bit cool. Let the drill bit do the work, do not force it.

And ditto on the bottoms of tanks. tempered glass will shatter when you start to drill it. and when you are done drilling the hole, sand the edges of the hole till smooth. I read that sanding the hole reduces stress. HERE is some more helpful reading.

Last edited:
I make a little wall around the hole, and fill it with water to keep the bit cool. I also clamp a piece of wood to the inside to prevent it from cracking when it breaks through. Good luck.

I've drilled a few holes. I just used a regular old carbide hole saw (not advisable but can be done) 2 3/4'' for a 1 1/2'' bulkhead. I did it outside so I just used my garden hose and kept the water flowing where I was drilling. Do not put any pressure on the glass just use the weight of the drill and you should be fine.

i tested on a small 2.5 first.. it was eazy..

let it work. don't force it.. the amount of heat at a (slow speed) is almost none.. i wouldn't worry about the heat.. i would worry about stopping and washing it out. every 30 seconds or so.. you will see the glass wash away..

the harest part was geitng it started...

they dont make glass hole saw's with a center drill do they?

they don't make glass hole saw's with a center drill do they?

Mine have them, but I removed them. The first hole I tried drilling the pilot bit wouldn't catch, and seemed like a pressure point. After I removed it it bit right into the glass, and was done in minutes.

EDIT I bought them off ebay for very cheap, and worked like a charm. :)

same here... but geting the drill not to walk was the hard part...

did your hole saw walk (move back and forth) till you had like a little pattern formed?

same here... but geting the drill not to walk was the hard part...

did your hole saw walk (move back and forth) till you had like a little pattern formed?

When I start the hole. I found that if you tilt the drill so that you are only using maybe 1/4 of the bits edge. It makes a nice quick grove, so when you go flat with it it won't walk.

i've drilled allot of holes with success with my ebay chinese hole saw:D. I use a drill with a adjustable clutch and have someone hold a running garden hose over the spot i'm drilling. Sunset glass in bothell(i think) has drilled a tank for me too, i think they charge something like 25 bucks a hole.

i didnt do the hose thing... i just spashed some water on it every few seconds...

i did it over carpet

I use a tile/ceramic/glass bit in my rotozip and free hand it. Easy and cheap for the bits. Tool is extra..... ;)

Salty Depot on ebay has great bits @ a good price and you cant beat the customer service the guy has, Plus he sends a great tricks & tips papers with the bits.

Back