drilling a glass tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
i need a whole drilled in my 50 gallon tank. IM going to use it as a sump for my new 100gallon. i was wondering if anyone knew how to do it or where to get the bits and how hard it is to do

First you need to find out if the glass is tempered or not. The hole saws can be purchased from Bulk Reef Supply I know for sure. They are available from other vendors also. Look for a portable drill stand do some research and be patient when drilling.

You can probably get a local glass shop to drill it for you for less than what you will pay for the bit and a drill stand.

dont drill it. i have tried to drill 3 5o's and they were all temperd. after talking with allglass aka aqion? and perfecto they both said the same thing.. the bottoms are tempered but the backs and sides can be temperd too but they dont mark them. they said they use what ever they have extra as they are a comon tank and sell lots of them. I tried drilling 3 different brand tanks , allglass, perfecto and an old island and same results they all broke and shattered. they were all drilled out the back. i have drilled all size tanks with never an issue but this was my first ever 50/55 and they broke. i wont do it.

What thickness is the glass pane and are you planning on drilling is it the side or bottom? If drilling the side or end how long is the said pane of glass. How old is the tank?

Anyone have a big sump or acrylic tank they would like to trade me?since drilling it looks like a bad idea. my plan was to drill one of the ends so i could use it as a sump and then hook my gen-x pump up to it for my return. not sure on the thickness but the tank has to be atleast 5+ years old its been around my parents house forever

Back