Drilling a Glass Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fijikid

Hello Fellow Reefers,

Anybody out there have any experience in drilling a glass tank? If so how did you do it and how difficult was it. Where did did you get the drill bit? Is there anyone local that can help

Sam

Glass cutting DIY

I cut all my own tank holes with a diamond tip drill pice that i got from a glass shop that sells glass cutting tools, and i got a new drill low speed lots of talk and you have to run water throw the cutter when your drilling the hole my 25mm drill pice cost $140.00 Australian. just go and talk to a glass window repairman, they should be able to help you find same where to buy it over their and give you info too.

I had my sump drilled at a glass shop. I think it was around $20 with no guarantee against breakage.

I recently drilled another hole to add in a connection to a refugium. I used a dremel tool and diamond bits I got off ebay (really cheap). This technique requires a round bit to make a pilot hole and then a small straight bit to follow the outline of the new hole. You need to keep water dripping over the area just as if you were using a bigger "holesaw" type bit. I used water dripping through some airline tubing.

When I get home tonight, I will be able to post some information on the diamond bits if you want to try this.

Thank you all for the information. I was thinking about trying this on my own. Any tips or additional advise would be very appreciated.

How many holes do you want to drill and how many different sizes? If you have lots of holes of one size, then a specialty holesaw bit for glass (like RibbetRibbet used) might be worth it. If you want different size holes, the bits will be too expensize, so find a glass shop or try the dremel method.

I couldn't find the exact drill bits that I got, but here is an example of something similar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3101&item=8202535585&rd=1

Here are a few threads that describe the process:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234382&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=617676

The dremel method produces a rougher looking hole but people don't seem to have problems getting a good seal with bulkhead fittings. I practiced a bit on some old glass jars before I tried the real thing and didn't have any problems.

And as a final caveat - trying any of these methods on tempered glass will shatter the pane.

I'm no expert in drilling glass in fact I have only drilled 1.5 holes using Dremel and cheap diamond tip drill bit.But I guess this experience is worth a dime.If it is your first time to drill a glass tank it is helpful to do some practice on some scrap glass lying around to get the feel of how the bits will work in your glass.Some cheap diamond bits get easily worn out so if you are using this kind get a few to change the worn out ones otherwise you'll end up with a .5 hole half finish due to dull bit.Don't press the drill too hard specially when it's about to get thru the hole there is a tendency that you will break the remaining thin layer of the glass.Just Practice!!!!Practice!!!And you'll find out.Then don't forget to share the experience to me coz I'm doing more drilling later :lol: :D :)

Thank you both for the information. I actually would like to drill one hole at the bottom of my tank for the sump. Who would you recommend that could do this in Seattle-Lynnwood (good work for a good price)?

I've done like Skipper and had good results with the Dremel and glass/ceramic bit and some water to cool it.

Back