drilling glass tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

125g

is there a place i can take my little 10 gallon glass aquarium to get drilled for a bulk head or is there a bit i can buy?

i cant remeber the name right now but i think they drill for like $25 a hole. A also belive ARSA does it also. But for a 10 gallon the glass might be just to thin and it will just break. You also need to know if the glass is tempered or not.

OOO also i think you will need a diamond bit hole saw to cut the glass cleanly. Water is also a must around were you are drilling.

Last edited:
when drilling glass you must take your time and use absolutely no pressure on the drill, make a dam with putty or clay and fill it with antifreeze this will keep the bit and glass cool, remember to take your time and go slow. it is critical you keep the bit straight...

Hope this helps!!!!

If borrowing one doesent work out for you, Perkins glass on Broadway in Seattle. $10 a hole and they only do drilling on Saturday. Call ahead of time to let them know you are coming.

If borrowing one doesent work out for you, Perkins glass on Broadway in Seattle. $10 a hole and they only do drilling on Saturday. Call ahead of time to let them know you are coming.

thats the place i was trying to remember.

i can do it for you for free or for a frag i have a diamond bit for 3/4" and 1 1/2" bulk head.

thank you everyone for all of the help and offers and if i plan on heading to auburn i'll take you up on that thank you

I had mine drilled at Sunset glass in Bellevue. They drill anytime but I can't seem to remember what they charged. It might have been around $25 a hole.

I did this last week to my little picotope. I bought the diamond tipped hole saw bits off ebay (they came from hong kong). Used a hand drill and did it in the kitchen sink (just used running water, didn't bother making a putty dam or anything. Worked great!

I would recommend clamping a wood board or even cardboard to the underside to make the cleanest cut possible.

16873_511317321821_299000042_437557_5356494_n.jpg

Back