Drilling glass.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Airphotog

Love my Nikon
I had some old tanks laying around that I broke up to recycle and when I hit a couple of the they had tempered glass. One had it on the back and one on the bottom. My question is how do you tell if the back is tempered or not? I don't want to shatter it.

You can use polarized sunglasses to tell. The tempered glass will have a strange looking pattern to it where with non tempered glass will look clean.

You have to use sunlight to see the full affect. They are called quench marking. They will look like heavy shadows or even rainbows.

Don

I had some old tanks laying around that I broke up to recycle and when I hit a couple of the they had tempered glass. One had it on the back and one on the bottom. My question is how do you tell if the back is tempered or not? I don't want to shatter it.

Heavens to Betsy!! Don't break them! If they are still good tanks let us know and we may be able to find a use for them. I know I can always find some crazy use for old tanks...either custom sumps or even frag tank systems.

Back