• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Drilling Holes??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Does OBD offer hole drilling on glass tanks?
If so how much per hole???
What happens if the tank cracks while you are drilling??

Yes we drill tanks. We are $20.00 per hole and we do not guaranty for breakage or finding the glass to be tempered.

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

Ill drill it. For freeeee...i dont garanty anything either though lol. :)
Ive done about three tanks i believe and my bits are 3/4 and 1 3/4
Just run the hose on it and go fast. I use a drill that has the two speeds. Set it to high and stay level. By fast i mean drill speed.
Lmk and hths
D

lol, I should call Allstate and ask them if I can purchase an insurance policy to cover drilling 3 holes. Would it be worth say an extra 25 bucks a hole to have insurance coverage. It would for me, its one thing to screw up while drilling a 55 gallon sump or a 40b, its another thing to screw up while drilling a 300 gallon DT, lol

We use to drill glass every week before you were born Peppie.......never had one break. We used a drill press back then but glass is easy to drill just take your time, keep wet and each hole will take you about 10 minutes tops with a good hole saw. I covered inside area at hole with duct tape and layed towel down under where i was drilling. Let the weight of drill cut if you push it will chip....first one is scary for just a second then you become a PRO")
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes we drill tanks. We are $20.00 per hole and we do not guaranty for breakage or finding the glass to be tempered.

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

Thanks for the reply Eric,
I wasnt clear on what your policy was for drilling tanks.
Danny has been debating on weather to drill his 150 for a closed loop.
I know I wont be drilling any glass any time soon.

We use to drill glass every week before you were born Peppie.......never had one break. We used a drill press back then but glass is easy to drill just take your time, keep wet and each hole will take you about 10 minutes tops with a good hole saw. I covered inside area at hole with duct tape and layed towel down under where i was drilling. Let the weight of drill cut if you push it will chip....first one is scary for just a second then you become a PRO")
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I can DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it. I also know that SSSSSSSSSSSSh*& happens. LOL
I didnt realize there was a need to drill glass aquariums back in the 20s.

They say you can insure anything, insurance is in a way like gambling, risk management. So the trick is to find someone who is willing to roll the dice, charge an equitable fee, say 50 dollars a hole, and replace the tank if there is a disaster. If you did a risk analysis and determined the risk, how many holes a business could drill on average before a failure, you would come up witha formula. You could then input the replacement cost of any tank and variables such as thickness or any other ones that are pertinent and come up witha price per hole. Of course, I am wayyyy overthinking this, but thats just me

Eric
Oceans by Design
1055 Andover Park E
Tukwila, WA 98188
206-575-5006

I will drill it for free! never drilled glass....need the practice lol.

Hows come when I start a thread it goes from informative, to serious, to hilarious, to ridicules????

Becca I already have the jig. It is hanging on the bosses wall (right under the bit). He paid me extra to convert it to a strap on.

Hows come when I start a thread it goes from informative, to serious, to hilarious, to ridicules????

Becca I already have the jig. It is hanging on the bosses wall (right under the bit). He paid me extra to convert it to a strap on.

If you have it converted to the strap on modification you had better make sure you order some of this.

DSC_0002(1).jpg

Back