Drilling my tank and what I learned...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ChadO

Greetings,

I thought I would share my experiences from this past weekend when I drilled my 75g AGA tank for the Bean Animal overflow system.

Equipment Used
  • 75 gallon AGA tank, 48x18x21, ¼” thick glass, laid down on the floor of the garage, resting on its side on 2x4’s.
  • DeWalt 3/8” Pistol Grip Variable Speed Drill
  • 42mm and 48mm glass hole saw bits from Bulk Reef Supply
  • Wolfcraft Drill Guide – as seen in the Bulk Reef Supply video on how to drill a glass aquarium
  • Plumber’s putty
  • Water
  • Shims
  • Nerves (of the frayed form)
Process
  • I started off by assembling the Wolfcraft Drill guide (minus the springs) and attaching the glass bit to the guide, and then the drill to the guide itself. I measured out and marked my locations for where I wanted my holes. I was going to be drilling 5 holes (2 for ¾” return lines, and 3 for 1” drain lines). I chose to come 3.5 inches down from the top of the trim piece. I then spaced out the holes across the back where I wanted them. It ends up with the two return holes on each end, and the three drain holes near the middle back.
  • Once I had my “x’s” marked, I took the bulkhead, centered it on the x, and then traced around the bulkhead so that I had a circle that was larger diameter than the hole I was going to drill. I used this marked circle as a guide to build the dam with plumber’s putty.
  • Next, I set the drill guide over the “x”, but since it covers it up with the bit installed, I looked from the underside of the tank to gauge if my bit was centered over the “x”. This worked pretty well.
  • Finally, once I had my hole saw bit centered over the “x”, I filled the area with water, and then started drilling.
Results
  • I ended up with 5 nicely drilled holes. The first one was my worst one, and probably to be expected. It has an ever so slight angle to it, but with the bulkhead installed, it is totally fine. I’m probably being overly critical as well as you can’t see it, but rather have to feel it and then look really hard to even notice. The gasket more than covers it.
  • My first return hole that I drilled took me 1 hour and 7 minutes. It was also the first time that I had ever drilled glass before in my life. The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] return hole took me about 45 minutes. Last night, I drilled the three remaining drain holes. The first one there took 6 minutes – yes, only six. The next two, I was back to about 45 minute average. I think the first drain hole was so much faster because the bit was brand new.
Notes, Tips, Things that I learned
  • There is a lot of information out there that says to not use any pressure, just use the weight of the drill. That is what I did for the first hole, and that is why it took me an hour and seven minutes! Truth be told, I later found documentation that you can use medium pressure, or up to 14 lbs of pressure, and you want to shoot for around 250 RPM or so. On that first hole, I know I went way to slow on the RPMs, and didn’t intentionally use any pressure. This is what lead to the long drill time, I’m sure. So, once you have the hole started, and have made some progress, I found that applying some light pressure certainly helped. It is much more realistic than just using the weight of the drill.
  • The drill guide was very helpful. I had no bit creep at all when starting my holes. That alone was probably the best part of using the drill guide. I saw folks drill without the guide, and they would hold the bit at an angle and drill on the glass to get a groove started and then stand it up and go from there. That looked to me to be a lot harder than it was worth. I was quite happy with the drill guide.
  • Wear ear protection! I don’t know how, but for some reason it took me to part way through the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] and final hole to think to use my target shooting ear muffs to quiet the noise from the drilling. It was an amazing difference once I was wearing them, and I can’t believe I put up with the noise for so long. Just silly, really.
  • Consider lifting the tank up to a better working height than just resting off the ground with 2x4’s. Bending over running the drill for long periods of time is really sore on the back. I took frequent breaks, but it was a very sore position after a while.
  • The plumber’s putty dam and water worked really well. Even at higher rpm’s, the water stayed in the dam, and the bit and glass stayed really cool.
  • Buying a practice piece of the same thickness as your tank would be a good idea if you have never done it before. In hindsight, I wish I would have done this and then I would have been able to experiment a lot. I learned that glass is really more durable than what I was fearing. I certainly don’t treat it lightly, but even as I got better, I am guessing I was playing it safer that what a person would need to do. I’m OK with that, I still have my tank in one piece.
  • When the water suddenly rushes out of your dam, you’re almost through. That is one of the fun parts, actually. You’re going along, then all of the sudden, the water is gone, and you’re almost through. On a related note to that, measure the thickness of your glass, and then measure that distance up from the bottom of the drill bit. Either mark that, or visually remember it, and that will help you get an idea of how close to the end you are. I say this because when the drill bit is in a pool of murky gray water, it is hard to get an idea how far through you are
  • Lots of patience. The process itself isn’t really that hard, nor scary once you drill through your first hole, but it does just take a while. I took breaks throughout so that everything stayed cool, and to give my back a rest. It’s just not a very fast process.
  • I think the reason that my first 1” drain hole was so much faster was the bit was brand new, and I applied more pressure while drilling. I still kept it pretty light, but the combination made a big difference. I also think that once you have used those cheaper bits for a while, they really start to drop off on effectiveness. My guess is that the high end ones will last much longer. If I was going to be drilling multiple tanks or going in with multiple people to drill tanks, I would spend the extra money for the higher end bits. As it turned out, the BRS ones were fine for what I needed.
  • If you had access to a drill press, and could work out lifting the tank to support it in some way, I think the drill press would be ideal over a hand drill. The trick is probably figuring out how to raise the tank to the height needed for a drill press, but if you could, I think you would have a lot more options on applying constant pressure and RPM speed
ChadO

Last edited:
Good job and great write up. Glad you got your tank setup for the Bean Animal overflow. Keeps my tank so quiet all I can hear is the Reeflo return pump, and barely that.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to trying out the Bean Animal. I have a bit more plumbing pieces to pick up, but I should be working on it this week.

Excellent. hey on the holes are they all on the same level? as inline??

Mike

They almost line up. I used 3.5" down as my measurement. It is from the top of the trim on the tank to the center of each hole. The difference is that the two return holes on each end are only .75" in diameter, and the main drain holes are 1" in diameter. So, the "looks" if you will are going to be out of alignment, but the centers that each hole was marked at are all 3.5" down from the top.

What you don't see yet - but will soon - is that I am going to have an internal Coast to Coast overflow box. It will be 8" in from each end, so it will span 32" across the back. This will "box in" those drain holes, but the return holes will be outside of the box. For what it is worth, the return holes are 4" from each tank edge - half of that 8" from the edge of the tank to the edge of the Coast to Coast overflow box. I just picked distances that kept holes a good distance from edges, and gave me some room to get cleaning tools in and around the bulkheads.

ChadO

Sounds cool. When I had my glass tank drilled they were fanatical about not doing them inline, they made me lower them down a few inches lower and higher. So it would be like 2 holes say 3 inches down, and then the next set had to be at 4.5 inches down, anyway that kind of thing.

Mike

Ahh. That is interesting to hear. I didn't know about that or stumble across it in my research, but I can certainly see that as a valid point. The only real piece of data that I keep seeming to find was that the general rule of thumb was that you wanted to be at least a full hole diameter away from any edge - including other drilled holes. I took this to heart, and so mine are all in the 2x or more range.

Sounds cool. When I had my glass tank drilled they were fanatical about not doing them inline, they made me lower them down a few inches lower and higher. So it would be like 2 holes say 3 inches down, and then the next set had to be at 4.5 inches down, anyway that kind of thing.

Mike

I think I've heard something similar to this when dealing with glass tanks, but not with acrylic. Not sure what the difference is though. Don (DonW) may be the one to ask about it. I'll see if I can get him off of his lazy butt to chime in if he has any info he could offer here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not online, but I sent him a message for him to check it out to get his take on it. :)

Last edited:
I think I've heard something similar to this when dealing with glass tanks, but not with acrylic. Not sure what the difference is though. Don (DonW) may be the one to ask about it. I'll see if I can get him off of his lazy butt to chime in if he has any info he could offer here. :)

Non tempered glass will always take the path of least resistance. Its easier to break in a straight line than a jagged line. Glass is non directional meaning no matter the direction it has the same strength. So no matter what direction you drill holes your drilling in a line. You just want to create as much real estate between the holes as possible and keep the center line of the holes zigzagging.

Don

So this brings up an interesting question that I found myself asking last night. I started to plumb for the Bean Animal system, and realized that there is going to be a bit of weight hanging off those bulkheads - especially the fully siphon line. I am planning to do the standard setup as spec'd which is the 1" drain holes, leading into 1.5" down pipes to the sump. The main siphon line has a gate valve on it which is used to adjust the flow to match the return. Well, when I first got that 1.5" gate valve, I thought to myself that is looked really large - and it is. It is also what I would consider to be rather heavy at 1 lb, 10 ounces. Is the weight of the down pipe plus the gate valve all hanging off of that bulkhead something to be concerned about? Should I try to brace or support that gate valve so it isn't just hanging dead weight? Maybe I shouldn't be worring at all, but it just got me to thinking.

ChadO

Back