Drilling tempered glass

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aquarookie

Pure Poison :)
Hi all,

I know AGA says not to drill their tempered bottoms :)lol:), but do they mean they can't even be drilled by a professional shop, or are they saying "don't try it at home without having any skill or correct tools"?... I bought a non-drilled tank and would LOVE to have an overflow in it. Is my only option to drill the back, or is there someone who can safely drill the bottom?

Is my only option to drill the back

sort of......

or is there someone who can safely drill the bottom?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for all the reasons Sid said.

If you don't have room to drill the back of the tank and put it against a wall you can all ways drill the side and build a book case or something to hide the plumbing on one or both sides.

Don't let my DIY thread lead you astray:lol: The bottom wasn't tempered. If it were, then I'd have no bottom:p

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will leave this tank alone (unless I decide to drill the back or one of the sides). Bummer :(. But hey, just wait and see what else I have up my sleeve! Krish, you'd like this one :D

welll.... drilling tempered AG tanks has been done a numerous times by reefers on nr.com, but usually its been on smaller tanks

josh

Laser you say? LASER? Well, I know where to find a laser that cuts acrylic, but I am not sure if I can shove a big glass tank into the machine... Anyone have one I can borrow? :D

Pretty sure the intense heat from the lazer would still shatter the tempered glass, but if anyone is willing to pay for all that hype, I'd like to see the outcome:D

I realize this is a little late but I wanted to see if I could post a pic. I don't know about drilling temp glass but I DO know it's a bitch to cut!
glass.jpg

Back